I Forge Iron

Shop Built Hammer

Hi guys.  I'm new to the forum.   The vast majority of my work is in sheet metal shaping, but we occasionally have to do some forging.   Anyhow , I thought you might enjoy seeing our shop-built power hammer .   My dad and I finished this machine in 2008. That's Dad in the picture. After the design was nailed down, we had 580 hours in building the machine and machining the dies from S-7.  It's designed for sheet metal shaping so it's built far too light for forging and  that is why the working height is so high (so you can "sight" the surface of the panel you're shaping). The heaviest marterial I have shaped with it is 1/8" 304 stainless steel, but it'll move 16 ga cold rolled sheet like butter. Since most of the panels we shape are .040" steel, it's more than enough hammer.  We built two sets of arms for it but currently have it set up as a single hammer .   Anyhow, I hope you like . 

DSCF2564_thumb.JPG

FB_IMG_1441828131826.jpg

2011-09-02_16-06-39_778.jpg

10 hours ago, CMS3900 said:

That's a sweet hammer. One of the best clones I have seen actually. One of these days I would love to get a little pullmax.

Thanks .   I really enjoy using it .   For a Pullmax we have a P9.  Keep in mind that the Pullmax is a fixed stroke reciprocating machine so it really acts nothing like a hammer . 

True but for what I want it to do, shrinking, shaping, louvering, it works well I suppose.  I don't know too much about them but would like to learn more. A buddy of mine does land speed racing and has one, I think it's a P5, and the first time I saw it work I knew I needed one!