I Forge Iron

Determining age of Fisher anvil

On 3/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, Timeswelding said:

I have, however, paid what they are not yet worth.  Meaning that eventually they will be worth what I paid and I'll have them to enjoy in the meantime.

At the gun shows we said, "You bought it too soon" as they would eventually reach the high price someone paid.

I wouldn't even worry about the torch cut, as there is plenty of room to work around it. It could even possibly come in handy at some point.

I love my 260# Fisher that was made in 1907.

• 9 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, Fischer anvil said:

I have a Fischer anvil with the eagle and an anchor. It is stamped 40, is 36" long with a 6 1/8: wide work face. It weighs at 420# and is nearly perfect condition. Could you give me some idea of value? THANKS.

20190328_132919.thumb.jpg.6a0b47704873aefec31fd43838d5686f.jpg

20190328_133009.jpg

20190328_133031.jpg

20190328_133112.jpg

Good looking anvil there. The 40 on the foot meant 400# when it was sold. My 260# Fisher also had a date on it of 1907. Is yours marked for a date? NJanvilman here on the forum runs the Fisher Norris museum that you may want to check out online.

Not to nitpick, but it is Fisher not Fischer ;)

Guy with the anvil: If you can't bother to put your general location in the header. We can NOT evaluate your anvil with a dollar amount. It's location determines the market value. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny I just saw a Minnesota license plate at the Socorro NM Fleamarket Friday. Back in the mid 90's I spent a summer working in Germany; but continued to post from my Ohio State University student account; which I pointed out to someone who was telling us we should know his location from his account's location.

Wow, I have only been able to find worn out beat up small fishers in MN and you have a giant beauty there...you are somewhat interested in 'rehoming' it or just curious as to its 'local value'?

• 1 year later...

Saundra welcome aboard. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.   READ THIS FIRST  It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location because so many answers require knowing where in the world you are located. Along with others about how to upload a picture and another how to do the most effective search. Some even help with flying under the moderators radar.:)

This thread has a lot of info about the Fisher anvils. Posted by the curator of the Fisher Norris museum. Be prepared to have a little anvil envy while going through it though.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, Saundra said:

Purchased a 200# Fisher Norris that has an E on it. No other info except eagle on the side.

If you post photos and dimensions, I will try to help you.  Also, check out "Fisher & Norris Factory Museum".

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Looking for information on a Fisher Eagle anvil. Raised eagle and a hard to read marking on one of the feet. Trying to approximate the age. The tinsmith horn fits nicely in the hardy hole. See pictures. Sorry about the duplicate pictures. Not really good at the url conversion thing.

url%5D

img

4-EA05940-9-AE1-4-A44-BE82-DA185-DC27-D4

Edited by Mod30
Remove duplicate photo

Replying to Don Boldt:

You have a Fisher anvil.  There is sometimes a date cast in to the anvil on the slope under the hardy hole.  If there is no date there, you might have an anvil made by F&N in the 1950s.  We really need some closer pictures of the different sides of the anvil to give you better information.