I Forge Iron

this has potential

Thanks for the link.  The field days look like a very interesting time. Love steam power myself.  The closest i have been to it is when UP's Challenger stopped in town.  I was able to get up close and feel the heat radiating off.   

Too bad about the museum narrow guage though.  Not too terribly far from here a major carrier abandoned a line and a group of investors tried to save it as a tourist attraction but unfortunately it didnt take off.  I imagine the overhead and maintenance costs were just too much.  Now it's sold off and being torn up for scrap.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the field days there would be interesting. A long way to travel for me though!

A project at my place involves getting a steam locomotive together to pull a small tourist train (standard gauge). We have just sandblasted, primed and painted the main frame of a British Peckett locomotive that was built in Bristol. Here it is being off loaded onto our rails. A lot of work ahead but should look great when it's hauling passengers next year.

DSC_4003.jpg

Outstanding!  It's great to see preservation going on.  I bet that crane put a dent in your budget lol.  Best I can do for posterity is an old pull type roadgrader that my father left.  Its all i can doo not to use all those gears and hand made parts on a scarecrow sculpture I'm working on but it's hands off!

I guess I assumed the museum was in your area but I bet it would be a bit longer trip for me...  

Btw, one of my first jobs in life was switching railcars at a repair shop with an engine not much bigger than that one.  Never a dull moment there.  

Yes, the two museums, my place and the Campbelltown steam museum are 3000km apart.

Here's a pic of the main frame just after sandblasting and priming. Yes that big crane was expensive but local operators give us a good deal. They all like to see things like this happening

Sorry to get a bit off track here. (or maybe 'on track')

2017-03-20 12.31.23 (003).jpg

Nice work.  Who is the expert at putting all those parts back together, I'd need a blueprint and several of the old plant workers for help.  Sorry about sidetracking those thread, Im guilty party.  To get back on track what ARE You going to make out of it?  ( pizza oven)

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, Nodebt said:

Nice work.  Who is the expert at putting all those parts back together, I'd need a blueprint and several of the old plant workers for help.  Sorry about sidetracking those thread, Im guilty party.  To get back on track what ARE You going to make out of it?  ( pizza oven)

Well, no immediate plans for it. That old thing (and a lot of its mates) has sat in our scrap for many years so there's no hurry.  It just makes me smile when I drive past it.

As for the locomotive, we have a dedicated group of volunteer workers headed by an engineer and some very knowledgeable steam enthusiasts. They are confident in having this loco restored and pulling our vintage wooden carriage with passengers by mid next year.

And since Frosty likes pics and doesn't mind a 'good sidetrack' here's a pic of the carriage arriving.

DSC_4916.jpg

Ausfire,

Frosty is not the only soul that enjoys a good picture and a delicious side-track.

I love 'em too.

Most mortals are content with a model railway. You, though, do it in gargantuan style.

Bully!

Thanks for the post,

SLAG.

20 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Hat tip to Frosty!  Ausfire do you share any of your work on a rail related forum?   

Not that I know of. Some of the volunteers may do, I'm not sure. Our rail group does have a website though, and you can see what's happening at http://www.athrail.com/

• 1 month later...

I think I can get 3 more. If so I'll make a go cart. 

I got 2 apprentices to lay it on its side. 

I gave them angle grinders and cutting wheels. 

Told them I'd be back in an hour to watch them load it in my truck. I told them to cut it into " light" pieces so it would all fit. 

Hehe. 

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Get a giant bearing on that shaft and mount it on the ground on its side then weld some seats to it

If you drive it with a pinion gear, make sure to size it right to generate enough speed to make it exciting.  Say, you could probably sell tickets to ride on it.... ummm... nevermind. 8-)