I Forge Iron

this has potential

Sometimes you can pick up a piece of junk and it looks like something just waiting to be made into a sculpture. I came across this thing (no idea what it is)  yesterday and I reckon it would make one angry looking guard dog. A few teeth welded into that square mouth, some claws added to the legs and that would be a fearsome 2-ton junk yard dog. What do you reckon, Das, - a possibility??

DSC_7507.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, that just drips creative juices!! Guard critter for sure but that isn't it's mouth it needs nostrils and the arch it's standing on is the upper jaw. 

Deb would kill me if something like that found it's way here. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

It has much potential.  I see a bunch of directions it could go. A gas masked face, a pig, and you could make it work for a dog or dragon.  Or you could just make up a great story that it's a 6 legged alien. 

Awesome looking piece whatever you do with it. Looks to have some great gears on the back. How big is it? 

Das,

I must respectfully disagree. It looks just fine as a dog. Dragons have been overdone lately, don't you think?

Frosty and Deb, there is no way that dog could swim far. Swimming to Alaska would probably be next to Impossible.

And shipping would probably cost more than the value of an average house.

As for adding teeth, Aus, I agree with several other I.F.I. enthusiasts. The pooch needs teeth. Or, at least, quality dentures.

Have you considered contacting the New York Museum of Modern Art they just might be interested? (the sculpture is a lot like Picasso's sculptures.)

Kidding aside, the sculpture is a tour de force. Magnificent.

Just my two cents,

SLAG

I wonder if thats a part of a rock or gravel crusher.  Looks like it has a flywheel for a belt on the other end.  It would be neat to see it run, mabey that rectangular part on the front rotates.  Unique pizza oven for u pizzaria?  Mount a few rosebuds on it and slip a pie right in that hole in front.   Overbuilt forge?  Lovely lawn ornament as is...

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

It has much potential.  I see a bunch of directions it could go. A gas masked face, a pig, and you could make it work for a dog or dragon.  Or you could just make up a great story that it's a 6 legged alien. 

Awesome looking piece whatever you do with it. Looks to have some great gears on the back. How big is it? 

Das, its size is about my height (180cm) and about 2 metres in length. That's a rail spike stuck in its front left leg for comparison.  I'm not so good at estimating weight but it must be at least a couple of tons. Ill ask our crane driver - he moved it there from our scrap.

I didn't notice it had six legs. I think it might be a rock crusher of some kind. It came from a mining area.

He certainly has an angry look though. Maybe I should take the name panel off this old thing and call him Sunshine?

DSC_7508.JPG

SLAG, it's cool I was just tossing some other ideas out. I like the giant junk yard dog idea. 

Aus, Now That would be funny. I could see you passing him saying " Morning Sunshine."   Or telling people about a dog named sunshine, and then them seeing him.  

Sickle bar blades might be big enough for the teeth. Or maybe some cultivator tines. Protruding out a bit almost like piraña teeth. 

I'm always loving the pictures of the scrap you have there. :D 

No, Marc, it has sat in our scrap pile for at least the last thirty years or so. I hadn't noticed it before our crane operator lifted it out to get at some other stuff.

And Das, yes I like names with a bit of irony. A savage dog named Sunshine amuses me.

While it does look like a crushing mill I think it may be a set of mulls and an extrustion mill for making clay tiles and pipes. I have seen machines looking much like this at a place I used to do matainance at Cheers Beaver PS it would make a cool sculpture

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Marc1 said:

Oh, I see ... I did not know you have your own private scrap pile. Where did all the stuff come from ?

Our scrap piles are in the grounds of the historic village where I am the curator and blacksmith. The previous owner was an avid collector and had tons of scrap like this all over the place. We have had to get rid of hundreds of tons (literally) of scrap steel to make way for new projects. A lot of the lighter, movable stuff found its way to my home but there's still a lot lying about. I have collected a lot of the old axles and wheels and heaps of wrought iron to make a scrap pile (aka resource pile) next to our blacksmith shop.

Marc, if you ever get near Campbelltown (just down the road from you!), call in and see Andrew McVey at the steam museum. He came up here and took a semi load of Garrett steam engine parts for a project of his. In return he took away a Comet steam engine which he is restoring for us. He knows all about the scrap piles here!

I had another look at that thing today. Stuck a shovel in his mouth for a tongue. The other pic shows it from above - it must be a crusher of some kind. From the back (pic3) it looks nothing like a dog.

DSC_7554.JPG

DSC_7556.JPG

DSC_7557.JPG

9 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Does the steam museum happen to have a website?

I thought it was a rock crusher too but those rolls look pretty smooth for drawing in aggregate unless its for the fines or they are just worn down.  That shovel gives it bling...

Yes.  http://www.csmm.com.au/