I Forge Iron

First Aid in Shop

rthibeau

A sanitary napkin, sanitary towel, sanitary pad, menstrual pad, etc, should be in every first aid kit. Think of them as large sanitary band-aids. 

Do hope it was only a minor scrape you had RT. Heal quickly.

ummmm.......women are not allowed in the shop ...so I gotta rely on paper towels and tape .... do have hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and first aid kits

oh, and duct tape.......if'n you can't fix it with duct tape .......ummm......ya know how to dial 911 ??

I'm gonna take a guess and say that happened with a grinder.

Littleblacksmith

While I was on deployment I Iraq I knew several guys who had tampons strapped to the vests. Some of the people who make sent care packages for us guys included a couple from time to time and we always had access to a supply if it ever was needed. Thankfully I never did but I knew some guys. . . .

Kotex pads and an Ace bandage works a treat to control major bleeding. You have to be very careful using Ace bandages, it's easy to get them too tight and cut off circulation. Tape can cut off circulation as well if the wounded part swells. Feel for a good pulse distal from the wound regularly till everything settles down, preferably at the Doc in a Box or emergency room.

I've administered Kotex 1st. aid a couple times. Happy to say no life was at stake either time. 

Oh a disposable diaper will do the job as well just not a used one please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty Effendi,

Your suggestions are excellent especially the circulation strangulation warning.

Permit me to add another new development to work with your suggestions.

The Israeli defense forces have come up with a chemical that can stop very serious bleeding. If my memory serves me well it can even stop some arterial hemorrhaging . That development was announced about ten years ago (many years after my time). I do not know where you can get that chemical.

Just a little trivia for the gangue.

Regards to all.

SLAG.

p.s. have any folks noticed that higher animals and people instinctively suck a wound? There is a good reason. There is a mild antibiotic in saliva. (lysozyme).

Edited by SLAG
correcting dreadful penmanship