I Forge Iron

Anvil sounds strange

So I have a, what I think is an 151lb. Peter Wright Anvil, mounted to a stump, and when I tap it with a hammer, I get a good ring and rebound. But when I try the horn or where the Hardie hole is it gives off a more sharp sound and less ring, and I'm a little afraid of either one of those ends breaking off (silly, right?). I do have a 8 ft. chain wrapped around it to deafen the sound because of neighbors. I appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you very much,

ACforge

Ok, I have watched videos of people testing the ring and it sounds different, of course, it could just be the video but I have also used other anvils and they do not sound like this... Maybe I am going a little crazy Lol.

Thanks again,

ACforge

If it sounds like this: "  Ting      " then you are OK; if it sounds like this: "    Thud      " then there is a major problem!  BTW how much is my used pickup worth?

Generally if there is a ring then things are good as invisible cracks kill the ring to more a thud instead of a ting.

If you already own it USE IT!  If you break the horn off and can't use it---how does that differ from not using it because you are worried about breaking the horn off?   36 years smithing and I've never broken a horn or heel off an anvil.  I do have one missing the horn that was a gift after I replaced it with a better anvil (it was a Vulcan suffering college student abuse when the horn broke off)

It sounds like a sharp, high pitched 'thud'. But thank you, I shall put it to good use. As for your pickup, I guess that depends on condition, mileage, and year... You could try Kelly Blue book, or something similar.

Thanks again,

ACforge