I Forge Iron

2 minutes ago, Sacred Steel Forge said:

On my profile my location is stated frosty.

Ayup, you posted it while I was typing and I edited my post after submitting mine.  The change will be made to all your posts so if you  move sometime in the next 25 years your new location will be in the header of every one you made. It can make us look kind of dumb for bugging someone who's location IS in the header. 

You just get used to that sort of thing you know. :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 0:34 AM, Sacred Steel Forge said:

i would like to ask peoples opinions on what i should be using a fuel and where i can find it cheaply or even better make it myself quickly and cheaply. I was using charcoal burquettes as fuel but it will not heat my steal fast enough

A little piece of wisdom a dear friend gave me that I believe is prudent to pass on: with almost everything in life, things can be done fast, things can be done cheap, and things can be done correctly. You get to pick two of these. 

As mentioned, I would switch to lump charcoal as well. I enjoy working with it personally, it's easy to light (compared to coal) and it's HOT! You can burn steel away if your not careful.

Thank you will w

56 minutes ago, Will W. said:

A little piece of wisdom a dear friend gave me that I believe is prudent to pass on: with almost everything in life, things can be done fast, things can be done cheap, and things can be done correctly. You get to pick two of these. 

As mentioned, I would switch to lump charcoal as well. I enjoy working with it personally, it's easy to light (compared to coal) and it's HOT! You can burn steel away if your not careful.

Thank you will, i have switched to lump charcoal and my air is to fast. Otherwise it will work perfectly as soon as i have my hand billows fully built.  But i can still forge atm just not at the complete potential of my fire pot.

Probably already mentioned, but if you're interested in making your own lump charcoal, there are several topics here on designing a charcoal burner, retort, or "maker" they're sometimes called. Most consist of a steel drum or two and are easy to make. 

Charcoal does not take much air to forge with, compared to coal anyways, in my experience. I usually crank pretty slowly on my blower, and I can reach forging heat plenty fast.

Until you have you "hand bellows" built, I recommend listening to C-1. A simple piece of tape could cut your air flow back to where it is manageable. 

1 hour ago, Will W. said:

Probably already mentioned, but if you're interested in making your own lump charcoal, there are several topics here on designing a charcoal burner, retort, or "maker" they're sometimes called. Most consist of a steel drum or two and are easy to make. 

Charcoal does not take much air to forge with, compared to coal anyways, in my experience. I usually crank pretty slowly on my blower, and I can reach forging heat plenty fast.

Until you have you "hand bellows" built, I recommend listening to C-1. A simple piece of tape could cut your air flow back to where it is manageable. 

I did this withthe tape as well and unfortunatly still to much air. I just need bellows already

Several ways to reduce the air, one forge I have is regulated buy moving the hair drier back from the tuyere, so their is about a 2" gap, and the needed air just hits the hole. 

Another uses a inflatable bed/pool inflator with a 3/4 inch valve. Originally it was in line, but increased the noise level, now their is a T and the valve exhausts exse. 

The tird uses a manual two stage bed inflator, esentualy a box bellows. 

Keep working at it, heck 4 kids blowing into pipe will bring charcoal to forging temp, not real hard. 

Mic your on the wher side of the Arcadias, forge fuel should be easy, plenty of small wood being cut off or right of ways by the hyway department and utilities, not to mention building scrap. 2x4 funks make fine charcoal, the ash is light and blows away. No accumulation .you might have to build a proper indirect heat kiln to keep the neighbors from calling EQ on you tho. The direct methods generate a lot of smoke.