I Forge Iron

Show me your chain!

16 hours ago, Will W. said:

Attempt #2! I need to work on my scarfs and consistency, among other things. I plan on making this a longer chain, so it shall be interesting seeing the quality (hopefully) progress from link to link. 

IMG_20170306_194750353.thumb.jpg.385ebec04ff1bca922125244448299f7.jpg

JHCC 

The link (no pun intended) didn't work for me for some reason. No clue why.

Those are good looking chains, both Michael and arkie. Nice work guys. 

Move your forge welds to the ends of the links vs the middle..  Even if welded with the utmost care the welded area will fail..

JLP is right.  The sections in line with the load have half the load trying to pull them apart (tension).  In contrast, the rounded sections at the end of the link have a shear load compressing the inside of the bend and a tension load spreading the outside of the bend.  In cross section, the material in the center part of the bend has no load at all.

I seem to recall watching a "How it's made" on mass-produced chain.  They electrically welded the links on the side before heat treating the chain.  It seemed as though they were looking for stress relief as opposed to a hardening/tempering operation.  With the welds on the sides, it seems like they're counting on the tensile strength of the welds to define the break limit.

• 2 weeks later...

first picture is of my first chain that I did about 2 years ago early on out of some 1/2" round. Not great at all.

Second picture is of some chain that i did probably about 1 year ago out of some 3/8 round. A little better.

I should make some now and compare it, I think it would be interesting. I had a though. It would be neat if i had started a chain when I first began, and added a link to it about every few months and see how improved. "the chain of progress"

IMG_5955[1].JPG

IMG_5957[1].JPG

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

first picture is of my first chain that I did about 2 years ago early on out of some 1/2" round. Not great at all.

Second picture is of some chain that i did probably about 1 year ago out of some 3/8 round. A little better.

I should make some now and compare it, I think it would be interesting. I had a though. It would be neat if i had started a chain when I first began, and added a link to it about every few months and see how improved. "the chain of progress"

Your scarfs are to long and the welded part of the link should be thicker in width..   But you certainly have the idea down.. 

23 hours ago, arkie said:

Nice chain, jlp.  Very smooth welds.  I need to practice chain welds a lot more.

Thanks..  

Sorry it should have read..  Try to make the scarfs shorter..    Not sure if this is appropriate or not (let me know) here is the latest video and funny.. it's on chain making.. The intro shows 2 links.. These are 1/2".. I do find smaller sizes are harder to keep material in the weld joint.. Once you get up to 1/2" the weld usually has more than ample material to keep it full width pretty easily.. 

https://youtu.be/uS0CqaXwNNc

Thank you! The video was helpful. I had made the latest chain a while back, about a year ago, and so not much of my work that i did back then i was pleased with, but was a learning experience. I will have to try and remember to try some chain and see if i have improved.

Littleblacksmith

On 3/24/2017 at 7:51 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Sorry it should have read..  Try to make the scarfs shorter..    Not sure if this is appropriate or not (let me know) here is the latest video and funny.. it's on chain making.. The intro shows 2 links.. These are 1/2".. I do find smaller sizes are harder to keep material in the weld joint.. Once you get up to 1/2" the weld usually has more than ample material to keep it full width pretty easily.. 

https://youtu.be/uS0CqaXwNNc

I wish more videos posted were done like yours. I really appreciated the picture in picture you did which allows me to see what's going on almost as if I was there.

37 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I wish more videos posted were done like yours. I really appreciated the picture in picture you did which allows me to see what's going on almost as if I was there.

Thanks.. They are extremely hard to do.. I love the pic in pic also.. I also do it in 3D.. :)   Major time suckers.. took 1.5hrs to make all the chain while filming, took 15hrs to edit it as there are 2 films to edit and combine.. + titles.. Probably why you don,t see more of them.. 

Again if this is the wrong place for this please move it as I don't want to detract from someone else's thread.. 

2 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

The nail polish is a nice touch, too. There isn't nearly enough nail polish in blacksmithing videos.

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

The nail polish is a nice touch, too. There isn't nearly enough nail polish in blacksmithing videos.

Its a nice spring time color.. Very festive..   And I totally agree be nice to get a few more with polish on..

Sadly between my regular farrier work and the blacksmithing stuff it just doesn't last.. 

1 minute ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Its a nice spring time color.. Very festive..   And I totally agree be nice to get a few more with polish on..

Sadly between my regular farrier work and the blacksmithing stuff it just doesn't last.. 

Do each nail in a different color: dark cherry, light cherry, orange, yellow, and white on one hand, and light straw, straw, brown, purple, and blue on the other.