I Forge Iron

My first rounding hammer

Jimmyiorn

This is the first hammer that I have made it was 1- 1/2 4140. Final weight is just under 2 lbs. Just wanted to have a go at it before I attempt the 2" stock for the 4lb er', there are a few issues with it but any feedback / criticism is appreciated, I tested it and it works so I would say a success.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

Well done! Better than my first hammer. Now keep making more. Stopping after doing something once, well satisfying, is like being satisfied with your first step down a trail. If you stop there, you'll never see the destination! Every tool you make will teach you something, even your 50th hammer will be a learning experience.

great looking hammer! one thing with hammers of this style, is when making it most use hammer making tongs similar to the picture I will include in this post. when using these tongs, the curls on the end stick out of the eye when holding the billet. this allows you to but it up against the bottom fuller, and but the top fuller up. Then you can do it quite quick, and you also end up with the troughs closer in and with shorter cheeks. That is the style I like, but it is all preference, and if you like it, then that's all that matters!

Image result for hammer making tongs

Littleblacksmith

4 minutes ago, Jimmyiorn said:

I did make a set of tongs but found than when I made the hammer the end curls need modified some to be efficient and they need to be a little heavier, I drew them out a little too much

Just curl them back a bit more.