I Forge Iron

First Damascus Blade, Cheese Knife

BOB T

There's some pictures of my first Damascus blade, didn't  have a lot of the material to make a large knife, so did what I call a "cheese knife" in the shape of a meat cleaver.  The total length including the handle of 6 1/2" and the width of the blade in 1 1/2". 80 layers and twisted , the steel I used was 1084 ,1075 and 15n 20 ..Etch in black coffee . Happy how it turned out , Not sure how much knife making I will do??? I 'am not into a lot of grinding, sanding and polish..   

20170214_125455.jpg

20170214_125220.jpg

20170214_125315.jpg

16 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Looks nice. Etched in black coffee? Looks like the etching turned out nice to. Why did you use black coffee? If I may ask...

REAL men don't take no cream and sugar on their blades!  :rolleyes:

Looks good Bob, I like high contrast low layer count pattern welds. I don't know how it'll do for slicing cheese I think it'll be hard to push through. Put a wood handle on it and call it a lobster cracker?

Frosty The Lucky.

I just used Folgers coffee to etch the blade ,no cream or sugar..lol  Nothing special ,the way I drink it .I have a Keurig that I used to make the coffee . I really didn't keep track of the time I etch the blade, probably around 90 minutes there about ???  

bobasaurus....The only heat I used was the hot coffee  , just  hot coffee from the coffee maker ,no extra heating ..All I did was clean the blade and put an wax/ oil on it.

Lots of different etches for pattern welded stuff besides ferric chloride: all the mineral acids (nitric, sulfuric, HCl, etc), probably all the vegetable/fruit acids---(lime juice is a traditional etchant for the keris), tea, coffee, differential rusting,....

Fascinating information about the acids found in coffee HERE. It seems that there are almost fifty different acids in coffee, and their relative proportions and concentrations are governed by roasting time, ground size, brewing time, and brewing temperature. (No information about the etching effects of cream and sugar.)

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, BOB T said:

I 'am not into a lot of grinding, sanding and polish..   

yeah, lots start out knife making, and then decide to merge into blacksmithing for the reason above. I started with the intention of making knives. I prefer to eat coal dust over grinding dust. Or, people with skip the grinding, and just slap on the word "rustic" or "vintage" to the end of the description and watch it sell.

Littleblacksmith

On 3/3/2017 at 7:45 AM, BOB T said:

I just used Folgers coffee to etch the blade ,no cream or sugar..lol  Nothing special ,the way I drink it .I have a Keurig that I used to make the coffee . I really didn't keep track of the time I etch the blade, probably around 90 minutes there about ???  

bobasaurus....The only heat I used was the hot coffee  , just  hot coffee from the coffee maker ,no extra heating ..All I did was clean the blade and put an wax/ oil on it.

Ah, I must be seeing the reflected light.  Looks great, I'm impressed at the results.