I Forge Iron

Help ID this anvil

Could be a Vulcan. It's certainly shaped like one, although they usually have their logo cast into the side. Pretty much bottom shelf, but better than nothing. Do NOT attempt any repairs: if there is a steel plate on top, it's probably pretty thin; any grinding or welding is probably going to do more harm than good.

All that said, welcome to IFI! Please go to the Introduce Yourself page to let us know who and where you are, but remember to READ THIS FIRST.

Welcome aboard Rick, glad to have you. Some anvils were closed die forged and have a flash line just like the parting line on a cast anvil. I'm just saying the line isn't a sure indicator. The damage looks like a cast iron anvil though but maybe it just had the devil beaten out of it.

Have you done a rebound test? As rough as the face it a small hammer would work better than a ball bearing.

Like you say, it'll get you up and working till something better comes along and it'll always have a hardy hole. Can't have too many hardy holes around, handy things that they are. Funny thing, you can look for years and not see an anvil of any kind then when you finally do get one they start turning up everywhere you look.

Frosty The Lucky.

No it's an anvil; probably American made.  It has a forge welded face plate on probably a wrought iron base---you can tell that by a slight failure on that one edge. The 110 should be weight in pounds.  Check the face with the ball bearing test and with the ring test to see of that chipped area indicated a delamination issue.  I see some marks on the face but as it's a farrier's anvil I am not too concerned as working cold is fairly common and so they get battered.

If you do buy it DON'T GRIND ON THE FACE!   Just using it will smooth things out over time.  If we had a picture of the bottom of it we might be able to name the maker; also check on the front of the foot area under the horn.  Some makers stamped a serial number there and knowing the number an which side can also indicate who made it.

The major things to watch out for is the possibility this anvil had been in a structure fire and so lost it's heat treat---the Ball Bearing test will let you know and that the face may be de-laminating and the ring test will indicate that. (Clear ring=good; muted, dull, missing ring indicates hidden cracks for this type of anvil---or for ASOs, cast iron.)

Under US$200 would be a great price if it passes the tests.

Good news I think. I got it. Did the ball bearing test with a 1" bearing and it had about 60% bounce back at 10 inches and rings nice... here is the good news.

Can't read the full markings yet, but what I can see is __W___GHT and the 110 on the side is 1-1-0 so I think that is 140.   a few other letters "IT"

AND I GOT IT FOR $180. Girl was selling for her grandma who said her husband bought it 40 years ago and it sat in his shop and never used it.

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

Well there are a couple of Wrights, (Peter and Henry IIRC), and Wrought is a common stamp too

Good to know... will work on seeing what it say tomorrow. Will post some better pictures.

Tried the flour, pencil rub, and took pictures and my daughter is playing with the image. We can make out ...RIGH. By the location, Peter might fit before it, but it would be tight. A smaller ....NT (I think might be "Patent"   and the 1 1 0.

Any other tips to make out the makers mark?