I Forge Iron

Forklift tine anvil stand ideas?

Hello,

Just starting out in blacksmithing. Putting things together.

Got a hold a a couple forklift tines, and a section of .5 wall steel pipe. Trying to figure out how to hold the tine in the upright position inside the pipe section.

I am in the process of cutting the tine so I am left with a 2"x5"x25" section to use as a post anvils for knife making. The pipe section is 5.75id x 18" tall, no base yet.

Any suggestion on how to go about mounting this anvil for use? Weld steel plate to bottom of pipe? attach to concrete floor? or use something in-between floor and anvil base, like wood?

Not sure how high to make the top of the post anvil? I would like to insert the forklift tine into the steel pipe, fill pipe with something to hold the tine in the upright position.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Jeff

Located in Florida.

Well you want the height to be the correct height for YOU and what YOU are doing; perhaps reading over the *many* threads on proper anvil height could help you explore this in depth.

Do you have access to welding?  If so think about making a three legged support for your chunk of pipe as floors seldom are perfectly flat.

As for suspending it: Weld a bottom cover onto the pipe, place the fork lift tine in it wedge it in an good upright position with some scrap metal and fill with sand. (sand will help dampen noise)

Now if you don't have access to welding or prefer wood working it's quite easy to design an anvil holder/stand built up from 2x or 4x4 stock either glued up or lagged or through bolted; or a combination of methods.  Several folks have posted nice examples you might want to search on that as well.

Well, made some progress on my post anvil in the last few days. Not complete yet.

Welded on a 1/4 plate to the bottom of the pipe, welded on some legs and got the forklift tine inserted into the pipe and temporary got it propped up vertically.

Still have to dress the top of the anvil, paint it, find a place to mount it, fill with sand, etc.

I also pickup a cross pein hammer off of craigslist for $5.00, weighs in at 2lb 12oz.

Just about finished with the propane forge, gathering supplies for the lining. Kaowool and Satanite. Got the burner tested and is ready for action.hammer_anvil.thumb.jpg.178a40cfdaefe084f0ec64d9e6f7e881.jpgmy_2lb12oz_hammer.thumb.jpg.77a247a0f4b7593c6aa30edcd556a0e5.jpgmy_anvil.thumb.jpg.9335916fd90e3e329ddb65805987b0a4.jpg

Forgot to mention, the tine weighs 70lbs and the base weighs about 40lbs.

So do I say I have a 70lb anvil or include the base weigh as well, 110lbs?

Thanks

Jeff

Spring Hill,Fl.

You want to radius the edges of the anvil and seeing as you have four each can be a different radius. Same for the hammer you want the edges a smooth radius though not a large one. The face works well with a slight crown but flat works fine. You want to avoid the edges of the hammer making deep marks if you have it cocked a little. 

Just a LITTLE radius on the hammer, you want to be able to make marks with the edge if you WANT to, they make good leaf and flower petal texture.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

70# as it's not a monolithic construction---when you talk about the weight of a dumptruck load you don't add in the weight of the truck.

Yes...and no. It's not going to have the rebound of a heavier anvil, but it's still going to have the extra inertia. When I moved my 148# Mousehole from a 30# wooden stump to a 150# steel tripod, it immediately became a LOT more stable.