I Forge Iron

Hello, new learning blacksmiths

oobray

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for all the things I've already learned even though I've only been learning for a whopping 2 weeks. So far I've acquired a 150 yr old coal forge, 70# anvil and a couple different hammers. So far I've formed a piece of 1/2" rebar to a steak knofebish, and I've started on an old claw hammer in forming into a small camp axe. Really just tying to do some little things to learn. I'll apologize in advance for all the questions I'll ask  

thanks!!!

Welcome aboard Oobray, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

I have a bone to pick with you already though, you drop  "knofebish" on us and don't include a picture?! :o Am I going to have to go all curmudgeon on you already? Take a pic or two, edit them to reasonable file size, say 200k +/- and save them on your comp. Now select   choose files    at the bottom of the text window, browse to the knofebish pic file on your computer, select them and load them up. Click on the + symbol in the largish "thumb?"nail and it'll include them to the post at the cursor.

Got that new guy? Now I want to see a pic of a knofebish! No pic, they don't exist!

Oh I'm going to have a good time with you. :lol: Welcome, ask away.

Frosty The Lucky.

haha, sorry. Typing on my phone always ends up in funny words. It was supposed to be knife-ish. Here's some pictures....As you can see from the underside picture of the axe. The hole where the handle goes has become out of shape. I'm going to have to figure out how to re-shape that.  

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

NO, those won't do, I want to see a knofebish! We can see knifelike objects made from rebar whenever we want but something new is . . . NEW, anything new is good!

Think about the tease, knofebish has a wonderfully Kosher sound to it. Make something up at least will ya?! 

No, a typo will not do!

You can drift the hammer eye back to shape with a rectangular bar that fits the eye and a little gentle persuasion of the beat on it type. Fit the drift to the hot eye and lay it on the anvil face. The part that needs to go down will lift the drift off the anvil, whack that edge of the drift. Repeat as needed.

Frosty The Lucky.