I Forge Iron

New JABOD box of dirt forge (picture heavy)

JHCC

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an update. I took some time today to clean out the firepot on the JABOD, and here's what it looks like after a few months of somewhat sporadic use.

IMG_3369.JPG

As you can see, the firepot has taken quite a beating and is now about 8" across and 6" deep. The opening of the tuyere is behind the 3-1/3" mark on the ruler. 

Here's a view from another angle. The tip of the 1/4" rod is pointed towards the tuyere. 

IMG_3370.JPG

There were some pretty big lumps of clinker and vitrified clay stuck to the walls of the bowl. I broke these off with a hammer and chisel before taking the photos. 

The important measurement is from the top of the tuyere, looks like a inch under a 3/4" schedule 40 pipe, so just at 4". I could that making charcoal from scrap wood will give you some clinker, as like coal their is a bit of sand and dirt in it (as well as nails). But dang if we can't get you new guys started on the cheap!

If someone would please distill down the information available and make an article for EACH subject and I will post them on the site so we can use them as reference.

Post it under a new thread and I can relocate it if needed.

When I built mine I had a problem especially in the start with clinkers forming from the sand in the mix melting into a crude glass, the problem finally started going away a few fires ago. Is there a way to prevent this on my next build or is this a problem that I will have to deal with. My only solution is to just add less sand but I have sand as an abundance so that is something I would like not to have to do.

As I don't have much sand, I have no personal experiance. I have gleaned a few things tho.

Commercial side blast forges have been filled with fly ash and clinker, so even new comercila English forges fight this when sand is used as the initial filler. 

TO and other smiths have advocated adding wood ash to the Adobe mix to combat this. 

A 1/4" thick coating of clay may be the answer in your case. Giving a smoth hard ceramic fire bowl backed buy sandy soil

Until somewhat recently I used sand as well.  I found that the act of cleaning the firepot mixed it up to the point that I always had a fresh bed of sand and ash for each new fire.  As the percentage of ash increased the problem diminished a lot but it never went away.  I gave up and ditched the sand.  I added a small brake drum for a base and currently use brick to shape the firepot.  At some point soon I will be making the firepot out of a clay mixture but will likely keep the steel base.  I like using my poker to disturb the base of my fire so that ash drops out of the bottom of the brake drum.  It allows me to keep the fire "cleaner" because my blower is a bit under powered and can't blow through a lot of ash buildup.  I like having the benefit of an ash dump like a bottom blast but on a side blast.

• 1 month later...

Update: since my neighbor over-ordered on sand for a construction project (he has 2-1/2 tons left over!), I decided to give sand a try. I'm sure that I'll either be letting the ash build up or maybe mixing up a more proper adobe, but for now, it's straight sand.

Step one: break out the clay.

IMG_3515.JPG

Worth noting that there is absolutely no heat damage to the paint on the bottom pan.

IMG_3516.JPG

Step 2: pack in the sand.

IMG_3517.JPG

Step 3: add the tuyere pipe.

IMG_3518.JPG

Step 4: use a little metal flowerpot (or similar object) as a core for the firebowl.

IMG_3520.JPG

Step 5: neaten up the firebowl.

IMG_3522.JPG

I'll keep you posted on how it works. I'm expecting some slag buildup until there's a decent amount of ash, but I don't know if it will be worse than the major clinker issues I was having before -- and not just clinker, but clinker sticking to the clay.

Hey bud this could be a very ignorant question so please bear with me. If you used straight sand won't it just fall apart or cave in when it dries?

Well, yes. The basic idea is that you re-form the firebowl each time, or so I understand. However, as noted above (which I was posting just as you added your comment), I've decided to put a layer of adobe over the plain sand, at least for now.

This is one of the great advantages of a JABOD: you can reshape the firebowl and change the fill as much as you like.

I prefer my grog with brown sugar and lime. ;)

Since adding the variac as a speed control on the blower, I haven't been using the gate valve, which is leaking around the edges. Today, I removed the layers that make up the valve, keeping the outer layer with the input socket. There's now a cloth gasket to help seal the air in -- the whole thing is much more efficient. 

IMG_3531.JPG