I Forge Iron

Farrier's Hay Budden

Hello, I have an Farrier's Hay Budden and I would like to know a little bit more about it.

It is 218 pounds, 36'' 1/2 inchs long and the face is 3'' 5/8 inchs wide, it seems in decent condition and the serial is 204117.

Rare type? desirable? Anyone can give me an idea of worth.

Thanks

JCdd

Anvil Hay Budden 218 pounds -1.jpg

Anvil Hay Budden 218 -1.jpg

Price is dependent on location; I live in the USA and just here the price may vary by 50% depending on where you are at.

We have folks from over 100 countries participating here and no idea if you want the price in Australian Dollars, Euros, Rubles, Rupiah,  pesos, etc.

The market for "rare" anvils is not very deep, Can you check for a serial number on the front foot?

It looks to be in excellent condition; but the narrow face will drop the price for many smiths, I have a 91 pound anvil that has a face 3.5" wide. It's a good brand and in excellent shape; but if it was a standard style anvil the price would probably be higher.

`'\

I've always loved the narrow face and long horn on these anvils.  They may not be the most effective distribution of mass for a general forging anvil, but they sure have shapely proportions.  

-Adair

jcdd, that year of hay-buddens are extremely radioactive due to the ore they used in the factory. it is potentially life threatening to be within several hundred feet of one. out of the goodness of my heart I would be willing to remove it (at risk of my own life of course) for no charge at all.

The big ones like that you don't find so often. I had a 211 pound one that I sold. It was 36" long, had a 4" face, and was 12" tall. At the farriers' schools, the instructors would often have the big H-B farriers' pattern, maybe 180 pounds or more, for their personal demo anvil.

They may have been more common when folks would commonly take their horses to a Farrier's shop for shoeing; I don't know any farriers that would be happy lugging a big one around with them!

At a historic farm, Slate Run, near Columbus Ohio, they had a small forge as part of the display but used to tell folks that for large jobs there was a smithy just a couple of miles down the road that was used by the farmers.