I Forge Iron

2 questions for you guys

Hey guys I have a couple questions for the pros on here. First I recently found a 125 pound anvil in an old barn, I took it home and did some cleaning on it and it revealed that it is a buckworth. I've tried doing some research on it and I haven't found hardly any information so hopefully someone on here has some knowledge of it. 

Second question is I found a small anvil type thing with bolt holes near the feet. I can't find any marking on it at all but hopefully one of you know what it was used for, and where. 

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

As many anvils were stamped with the Seller's brand name we could use more pictures/info: A picture of the underside of the anvil would help, a list of the handling holes and their locations.  Any numbers on the front of the foot and what they are and where they are placed?

Is the weight stamp in CWT or pounds?

As mentioned the second is part of a combination vise and as such not designed as an anvil for hard use---straightening nails is more it's purpose.  Being cast iron it will wear and fail quickly and so like the Harbor Freight cast iron anvils are generally known as Anvil Shaped Objects or ASO's.  In fact it looks exactly like Anvil Vise, #11649,  on page 65 of the 1897 Sears Roebuck Catalog.  I don't know how long they carried them but it was not a rare item...

I have heard of Buckworth anvils before. I believe they are a Canadian maker. There are a few members floating around with Buckworth anvil. Maybe they will chime in.

If you do a google search, many different stories come up. One stating they were made by Boker, and a few saying they were made by Henry Wright. Who knows :huh: