I Forge Iron

Any help on anvil ID?

OK; my take on it is English, pre 1900,  a problem is that there are literally 100's of english anvil makers many making quite similar anvils as they learned in one shop and then went off to open their own...

Try the flour trick to see if you can get anymore letters in the name stamp.

Wow, I really, really appreciate the quick response from all. This site is an amazing resource. Please educate me on flour trick. Is it like it sounds? Dust lightly with flour? I drove 3 hrs round trip to rescue her from resellers and I am thrilled to have her. If it is 1900 ish....what might it be made of? Again thanks for all help. I love the history of tools I use.

Well I'd guess it was substantially before 1900---but after 1820's as it has a pritchel and the feet are not as small and sharp as they could have been done.  It does look made in the "old" way with multiple blocks of wrought iron forge welded together. I would not be surprised if the face was made from several slabs forge welded onto the base.

• 6 months later...