I Forge Iron

Really big Anvil

Hey guys today a farmer down the road from me gave me this Anvil. It's the biggest Anvil I've ever seen! The anvil sitting on top of it in the picture is 150 pounds this one I'm thinking is 400+ pounds. I can't figure out what the make of it is, I'm hoping someone on here can translate this writing on it for me. I've tried to look it up but haven't found anything. Let me know what you guys think! 

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

That right there is a Mousehole Forge, best anvil ever made. The stamp says:

M & H
Armitage
Mouse
Hole
Forge
2*3*10

"M & H" stands for Morgan and Henry Armitage. This stamp was used ca. 1854-1875.

The weight stamp is two hundredweight + three quarters of hundredweight + ten pounds. (2 x 112) + (3 x 28) + 10 = 318 pounds.

And he just GAVE it to you?!?!?!?

I'd give John a little What for about his blatant prejudice regarding Mouse Holes but this one being a FREE!!! anvil makes it the best. Looks to be in excellent condition and a great shop size. I'm thinking your neighbors getting nice forged Christmas gifts for a long time to come.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'd give John a little What for about his blatant prejudice regarding Mouse Holes but this one being a FREE!!! anvil makes it the best. Looks to be in excellent condition and a great shop size. I'm thinking your neighbors getting nice forged Christmas gifts for a long time to come.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Bit by bit, I'm wearing him down....

I can be an objective tester of Mousehole vs Soderfors. Just send one each my way, I'll pay the return shipping when I'm done.

I have a mouse hole and a sisco supreme about the same size , I like each one equally . I can't tell enough difference between them to prefer one over the other.  But wow what a wonderful gift , enjoy make them a nice thank you gift I return.

Years ago I had a lady really want to sell me a beautiful Armitage Mousehole, probably that size exactly, of course she wanted 900-1000$.  It was a truely lovely anvil, wonderful crisp lines all the way around, even down through the feet.  The thing that made me want to cry, more than the price...;-) was that there was a good size chunk missing from the face, and there was a large section of the steel top plate that went back toward hardie hole that was delaminated.  It was fixable, but it wasn't going to be quick or easy.  And she was convinced that it was STILL worth atleast 3$ a pound.  I told her the truth she really didn't want to hear or believe, that if it had be in perfect condition it could fetch up to 6$ a pound, but as it was it was really only worth 1$ a pound...  She didn't believe me, because it wasn't in her economic best interest;-)  those are always the Truths that are hardest to swallow...  It was a lovely anvil, except that one HUGE flaw.  Just made your heart sick...  At the time 300$ would have been a strech for me, but 900$ was unthinkable for an anvil in that condition, even if I could fix it with 20-40 hours grinding, preheating, welding, peening, wirebrushing, welding etc...