I Forge Iron

Fairly simple but gets the job done burner build?

Twhitson15

Hi. I am trying to build burners for my future forge, and I don't know where to start. There are so many burner builds on this site and I don't know which is the best one. I am trying to build burners that are somewhat simple but will be great workers. Any suggestions?

Also remember that most questions are pretty useless without the details; we have smiths here where "small stock" means 1' square and others who have forged sewing pins.  So how large is this forge, what do you plan to use it for any constraints on building, (no access to welding is a common one).  Unusual locations, We've had folks from Iceland and Hawaii here, both suffer from Island syndrome to a degree...

The Frosty t burner  is about as simple to build, understand, and tune as it gets.  The  standard 3/4"  build, as shown in his drawings will attain welding heat in a properly insulated forge very easily.  Do a Google search for "t-burner iforgeiron"  and you'll find the thread with the drawings and compete instructions.

36 minutes ago, D.C. said:

The Frosty t burner  is about as simple to build, understand, and tune as it gets.  The  standard 3/4"  build, as shown in his drawings will attain welding heat in a properly insulated forge very easily.  Do a Google search for "t-burner iforgeiron"  and you'll find the thread with the drawings and compete instructions.

Or you can just go to the pin near the top of this section of IFI :rolleyes:

@Twhitson15 the t-burner really is one of the simplest designs and it works really well. But there is no one best burner, it really depends on the type of forge you are going to build and what you want it to do. You are going to have to do some research and figure out your forge design and needs first, this will lead you to what style of burner is going to work for you.