I Forge Iron

Odd weight Peter Wright??

Panterafan

Hi, just bought my first real anvil yesterday after using a round crosssection of steel support for about a year. Found an ad on Craigslist and drove to the boonies to look at a peter wright. The guy knew nothing about the anvil. I bought the anvil from him for 380 which I'm sure is a steep price but the anvil market over here in Portland Oregon is tiny, plus it's a peter wright. The only thing is, I've never heard of a 82 pound peter wright. I took some pictures and was wondering if you guys could tell me a little about the anvil based on the stamps and whatnot. I'm new to this forum (obviously), and I know you guys hate new people making new threads. But I have found next to no information on this anvil, especially the "3" stamp on the foot of the anvil. Also did I overpay? (I'm sure I did). And is there anything I need to do to this anvil to make it more functional? Or should I just leave it be? I've heard it both ways. Thanks a bunch guys

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

I never heard anyone here say they hate new guys making new threads. 

Welcome aboard. I can't help you much on the info on the anvil info other then it looks perfectly usable as is. The only thing it needs is the top polished by hammering hot steel on it :) 

As to if you over paid, I don't know the market in Oregon. Looks like a good tool that will last you a lifetime and then someone else's lifetime if not abused. Use it and get good then sell what you make using it and it will pay for itself. 

17 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

I never heard anyone here say they hate new guys making new threads. 

No, the only thing we hate is new people is basic questions that have been asked and answered dozens of times already. Do your research (pro tip: don't use the forum's search function; do a Google search and include "iforgeiron.com" as one of your search terms), and if you can't find the answer to your question, ask away!

Regarding your anvil, I agree with what Daswulf said. The price seems a little high for the weight and condition, but you know the market where you are better than I do. PWs do generally have a good reputation for quality, though. Use it in good health!

According to Postman's AIA (Anvils in America) Peter wright put all kinds of different numbers and stamps on the foot of anvils.  It is thought some of these were inspection marks and steel batch marks.  I have a 135 PW with an 7 stamp on the foot.  It is stamped on both the left and right side of the front foot.  Over payment is completely relative!  I have seen smaller anvils (50-90LB) sell for upwards of 4-7 bucks per pound.  The smaller anvils tend to fetch more money per pound and I'm not really sure why.  Portability, collector value, decoration?  Heck I don't know.  

I would suggest you do not repair, grind or weld on that anvil.  My first real anvil is a 84lb hay budden with edges somewhat worse than yours.  I hardface welded the edges and repaired them thinking it absolutely HAD to be done.  I now use that anvil for leather work, riveting and bench top work only.  Truthfully I reduced the collector value of the anvil by repairing it.  If I had it to do over again I would NOT have repaired the anvil.  

If you need a sharp edge for forging, you could possibly make a hardy tool (2 inch or so) square that could be used for sharp edge forging.  Meanwhile a sanding block on that face will bring out the smooth steel.  Heck forging on the face will do the same thing!

All the best, congratulations on your purchase.  Don't sweat the price as you can likely get your money back easily should you choose to sell your anvil.

3 x 28 = 84 pounds so if it weighed  82 pounds on an uncalibrated scale it would not surprise me (or on a calibrated scale for that matter)   3 on the foot could have been an inspection number or anvil building team, etc.

That anvil needs some red hot steel hammered on it to improve it's surface.

about US$4.50 a pound would be steep many places, ok others. (My PW's have been pretty inexpensive in Ohio and CA)

Handy size for a travel anvil---go make and sell a bunch of stuff and pay it off!

I have a 128 PW that was in similar condition when I got it.  As others have said it's suitable to use as is.   I used mine for a few months and then decided to clean up the edges a little for 2 reasons: 1) There was some chipping and I wanted to decrease the chances of additional damage, and 2) I didn't have any good areas where the edge radius was consistent for more than an inch or so.  As I said though, I used it for a few months before doing anything other than using a wire wheel to clean it up.  When I did clean up the edges I used a flap disk on a 4.5 inch angle grinder and took off the minimum amount of steel I could to create some smooth edges and lower the risk of future chipping. The face has some pitting in it, but I left that alone and I assume I'll eventually work the pits out of it. To me it was the right thing to do, but if you choose to "improve" your anvil just remember that you can quickly take steel off and reduce the life of your anvil, but putting it back on (correctly) is a big and expensive task.

If you are happy with  it then the price is JUST RIGHT, don't worry about IF you paid too much for it as that ship has sailed and you own it now enjoy it.    Odd weight 82-84lbs or mine at 213 marked, actual ?? I'm not lifting it to weigh. Doubt many came in at even weights  the way they were made.  As others have said use it for a while and see how you do with it, can always put it back on the market. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. That's a nice sized anvil and in pretty good shape, she'll work hard for you and a couple generations to come. As said, working some hot steel on her will bring a happy shine to her face. Many good learning projects are actually darned marketable and you can save up for more tools and equipment. 

You like it? Nice score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny I have been smithing since 1981 and have met about a dozen anvil collectors and several thousands anvil users.

100# +/-25# is probably the most convenient size for most users (Smiths, Farriers, other metal workers, etc) and I figure that drives the market.  Now when you get way small and way high priced---say a traditionally made Peter Wright, stamped and under 20 pounds then those are extravagantly priced by the collecting market---but not much good for the smithing market... 

Nice anvil, well used but not abused. Nice size for small to medium stuff, good size to justify the purchase of 2 more anvils, one in the vicinity of  200 lb and another 300 lb :)

Anvil purchase seems to bring up a lot of buyers remorse. Almost every post of an anvil purchase comes associated with doubts about the price paid. Sometimes disguised as a question ... how much is this anvil worth? ...

I say it is worth what you paid, not more, not less.  Negotiating skills particularly for items like an anvil that are a cross between a museum piece, a tool and an emotional decorative item, are probably worthless unless you decide to become a collector and acquire the hard nose to go past anvils that are overpriced to score the one that will make you a profit. 

As a one off buyer, how do you reconcile the conflict between "I want that anvil" and "I want to pay much less so I don't feel bad about spending" ? 

A hard balancing act. Price paid is soon forgotten, the quality of the tool is what stays with you. 

Next time, if you really want to learn to negotiate a price, remember this ... if you don't feel ashamed of your offer, that means you have offered too much ... :)

On 2/27/2017 at 11:34 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I've got to quibble a bit: I know the price of every anvil I've bought since 1980 and I don't think a "collector" is interested in profit; a dealer is interested in resale...A collector tends to hoard...

Yup and the more they hoard the lower the supply.