New PPE for me

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. Evans,

Presbyopia ("old eye) is a pain but it is not caused by eye deterioration. (the cause of older people requiring reading glasses as they age).

There are two causes for the condition. The more minor cause is that the muscles that "bend" the cornea weaken. The second cause has a much greater effect. That is the thickening of the cornea itself. Cell division, in the cornea, causes the lens to become thicker. (the cornea cells grow on the inner surface and the outer surface.) The thickened lens eventually becomes less and less flexible. Eventually it becomes too thick to focus down to read fine print, and glasses are required to focus the light down further.

Our eyesight has not deteriorated.

That phenomenon is displayed in people who have had cataract surgery. Such surgery replaces the cornea with a polymer inter-ocular lens. The old cornea is removed and the new lens is sutured in. Short vision is dramatically changed. The new lens is less thick and can bend like the young original cornea of youth. Many patients find that they no longer need reading glasses after the surgery. In other words, their eyesight had not deteriorated

SLAG.

Frosty,

Cataracts are the thickening and mostly clouding of the corneal lens (crystalizing). I have not heard of ablative surface removal of the opaque corneal surface, yet.

It may become possible, soon, given the advances in computerized laser surgery.

Incidentally, I came across a science article about 5 or 6 weeks ago concerning treating newly developing cataracts that stops the progression and clears the lens.

It is a chemical that is applied to the eyes. (I vaguely remember that it was one of the steroid chemicals.). But do not bet on it, for now, nor quote me concerning that.

I will check my files tonight and probably get back to you shortly. I'll p. m. you as this post is getting way off of blacksmith topics.

I do not understand why the medical industry has not developed a method to vaporize the inner layer of the cornea. That would obviate the necessity of removing the cornea and installing an inter-ocular lens in its place. (those lenses work very well by the way.) Doing so would thin the lens and allow people to read without corrective lenses. (a.k.a. "cheaters").

Cheers Chaps,

SLAG.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2017 at 1:57 PM, Daswulf said:

I use a 3M 6000 series respirator with P100 filters for welding and other dusty situations. We use them at work for dust and I liked them so I use the same at home.

Just ordered one, should arrive soon. Thanks for the recco.

17 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Lol

What a mouth, what a mouth,
What a north-and-south,
Blimey, what a mouth 'e's got!
Why when 'e was a baby-o, cor lummy,
'Is poor old mummy 
Used to feed 'im with a shovel.
What a gap,
Poor chap,
'E's never been known to laugh,
For if 'e did,
It's a penny to a quid
That 'is face would fall in 'alf!

Hi Scrambler. I am interested in that product. However when I search for Heil all I get is a list of earmufs with a microphone for racing or microphones and audio stuff like that. I know of hearing protection used for shooting with electronics in it but they range from $300 to $1000, one at $50 seems very desireable. do you care to post a link? 

Ear plugs work only if inserted properly. 

When things get loud or loud for a long time, try ear plugs AND eat muffs. It is a little un-nerving to hear all the noises your body makes, bones creeping and grinding, air going in and out of your lungs, heart bear, etc. You then start to become aware of all the sound vibrations that impact the body or are transmitted to the body like when you hammer.

If you can not hear a person speaking in a normal to soft voice, then you need ear protection. I SAID: If you can not hear a person speaking in a normal to soft voice, then you need ear protection (grin)

1 minute ago, Glenn said:

If you can not hear a person speaking in a normal to soft voice, then you need ear protection. I SAID: If you can not hear a person speaking in a normal to soft voice, then you need ear protection (grin)

Say that again, sonny? You youngsters don't speak up like we did in my day!

Back in April I was doing some grinding with well fit safety glasses on. Well, a piece got through somehow and a very expensive doc bill later, I got new safety glasses. I ended up with 3m virtua ccs protective eyewear. They are foam lined. They fog up a bit with the humid weather here, but my eyes are pretty safe while forging and grinding. I deal with it. A grinding shield is in my very near future

For my hearing protection, I use Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. I can plug my phone into them and listen to music while forging or if I don't do that, I can hear people talk and they'll kill out the loud sounds when needed. I sometimes use foam plugs. Either works. 

The ear buds have to  be properly placed into the ear. One way to get it deeper is to insert it and try this. Grasp the back of ear and pull the flap forward. (the fingers grasp the back edge of the ear, that portion that is furthest away from your nose.) Hold it and use a finger to urge the ear plug deeper into the canal. It works a treat.

SLAG.

I'd like to thank you guys for initiating this thread and voicing sometimes strong and differing opinions. I just ordered a pair of  "Howard Leight, Sync by Honeywell Muffs." AM FM radio and MP3, top of the curve NRR and large enough to cover my ears completely. The high impact protection rating is an extra I hope to never need. . . again.:unsure:

Right now if I'm making loud piercing noises I have a truly OLD pair of Peltor muffs and wear my noise reducing buds under them but it's not enough muffling and not really good listening. Oh, Deb doesn't want me wearing her Bose noise canceling muffs in or near the shop. They're DE BOMB but at over $200 off my list. <sigh>

Your testimonials weighted my decision heavily, there are a lot of products out there that sound as good for maybe 1/3 $, not that I was't suspicious to start but it's good to know what folk you know are experienced and you trust think. 

Darn if this isn't another reason I love this forum!

Frosty The Lucky.

I liked them so much for the rifle range that I bought two pair. ( one for friends that show up unprepared.) They work great in the shop as well. Have had people hang out that couldn't handle as much loud sound as I can and just hand them a pair.  I have used them for years now and they are still working perfect. I give them a thumbs up.  Also friends I have let use them have bought their own. :) 

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

Wrong info !

I screwed up, name wrong, Heil is one of my my Amature Radio Microphones...  next bit of info.

Seller: Howard Leight

Manufacturer: Honeywell for Howard Leight 

Model: Impact Sport

Purchased through: Amazon

At the time of purchase cost was $49 US.

If needed I can post DB info.

They take two AAA batteries, have an on/off/volume control.

They block 90% (IMHO) of the noise, only based on with and without test.

If I don't turn the switch on and turn up the volume I can only tell that someone in front of me is talking by the movement of their mouth and a muffled sound, so I think they work well, again IMHO.

PBetter than nothing at the least and at the price point I think it is a deal.

The microphones go towards the front but you can wear them backwards and face the microphone towards the rear and cut down on the loudest noises entering the mic and it doesn't make the words sound backwards or in reverse !

Sorry for the confusion about manufacturers, we got it straight now !

I would and sort of have recommended them to friends here and shooting.

Also, when shooting, I have let some buddies try them out and next time shooting they had a pair.

I gave a pair to a friends wife as a b-day present and she is forever thanking me for her hearing...  as she puts it.

All good testimony to a decent product and I would buy again, if and when the need arises.

Added:

Was just reading the instruction sheet, luckily it is stored in the case.

If you happen to forget to turn out the set it has an auto off in three to four hours.

Also, it has an Audio Input Jack, 3.5mm, so you can listen to tunes or audio book at the same time you are Blacksmithing !

I have not used these while banging anything other than a few rounds of 223 and other weapons so I can't really tell if they will stop the banging noise of steel to steel but I would think they would work, if I get a chance I will test them out !

Ltr

GrevB

Thank you Scrambler, you have unscrambled the info. Great to know tha such low price for a noise suppressing device exist. Will order mine asap.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, SLAG said:

Frosty,

Cataracts are the thickening and mostly clouding of the corneal lens (crystalizing). I have not heard of ablative surface removal of the opaque corneal surface, yet.

It may become possible, soon, given the advances in computerized laser surgery.

Incidentally, I came across a science article about 5 or 6 weeks ago concerning treating newly developing cataracts that stops the progression and clears the lens.

It is a chemical that is applied to the eyes. (I vaguely remember that it was one of the steroid chemicals.). But do not bet on it, for now, nor quote me concerning that.

I will check my files tonight and probably get back to you shortly. I'll p. m. you as this post is getting way off of blacksmith topics.

I do not understand why the medical industry has not developed a method to vaporize the inner layer of the cornea. That would obviate the necessity of removing the cornea and installing an inter-ocular lens in its place. (those lenses work very well by the way.) Doing so would thin the lens and allow people to read without corrective lenses. (a.k.a. "cheaters").

Cheers Chaps,

SLAG.

Presbyopia or the sight of the presbyter, from the greek old man, has no relation with the cornea but with the lense. Two different parts in the eye. Yes the lense becomes less flexible and the ciliary muscles weaker. Cataract is the opacification of the lense not the cornea due to precipitation of the protein inside, accelerated by environmental factors like UV and also intense heat like forging. The cataract operation replaces the lense with an artificial lense that is held in position by different methods depending from the model used.  

The lense is of course fixed, for now anyway, and can include correction if required. 

Changing the shape of the cornea to replace glasses was done way before laser existed simply by making radius cut in the cornea so that the scarring tissue changes the shape and produces the desired correction. Laser makes the cut more precise. 

Damage to the cornea if it is permanent can only be corrected with cornea replacement from a donor. 

Cataract operations were done hundreds of years ago without surgical instruments particularly in India. The "guru" would put the blind patients in a line and walk the line chanting and making noises. Then he would place index and thumb over the poor patient's eye and pressing together, dislocate the hardened lense, breaking the iris and making it fall into the vitreous humor inside the eye. If the retina of the patient was still working he would miraculously recover the eye sight by the waving of the guru's hand :)

Yes, I saw the jack and read the data, no radio. Carrying my Kindle lets me listen to audio books or podcast downloads and I have a MP3 for music. I like live radio, I've never heard a news alert on a recorded nor gotten to shout at idiot talk radio callers. I know it won't be great reception, I'm in a bit of a dark hole for radio, AM or FM, especially AM. I think it's my shop building screwing up the reception.

I suppose I could plug into my Iphone but Apple charges you for internet access to listen to FREE radio programming. My old android had an AM receiver built in but it's dead and gone. I don't think I've had a portable radio in 20 years maybe? 

AM FM radio headphones are WAY cheaper than paying my cell access and Apple ap. bill. Payback is maybe a couple days listening.

It's worth considering though, thanks. 

What's the Sir thing? You don't need to sir me, common courtesy is more than good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It's a good thought and I'd considered it, phone service just too expensive here. 

I know a lot of folk who sir and maam everybody, I just twit them a little once in a while. Heck I sir people now and then myself. I should twit me shouldn't I?

It's a sign I'm really mad when I turn formally polite but that's not so unusual. 

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

Military training, hard to break !

I spent 2 years full time and 10 years part time and in that time my personal observation was that the military has a lot to answer for when it comes to breaking things :D