I Forge Iron

Back From My Alec Steele Class!

Ok, in my other thread about what can I do to physically prepare for a 4 day blacksmithing class, I was given a ton of great advice. I started going to the gym, (after a 10 year absence), did planks, bought the finger rubber bands, and hand squeeze things. I did as much as I could do in the little time that I had. Well, I held up pretty darn well! I did struggle but it wasn't from swinging a 12lbs sledge hammer all day. Punching holes that lined up on both sides, punching holes perfectly centered, and tapering was what I had a hard time with.

I learned a ton in such a short amount of time. Alec was awesome. The nine other guys that took the class were awesome. Paul Krzyszkowski of Toronto Blacksmith was awesome. I've only forged three small projects before this class. It was beyond fantastic to move so much metal .

I've included two links to videos if anyone is interested. The first is when I tried to forge a bottle opener on my own before taking any lessions. The second is the class. I'll let you judge how much I improved.

Thanks all for the input and advice I received about what I could do to get in shape for the class!

-Peter

Bottle Opener

The Class

Video removed as it does not meet the G rated Family Forum standards.

Thanks!

The hammer was made from 4140, and we heat treated and tempered. The tools we forged were -

Hammer tongs

Large drift

Center punch

Flattening hammer

Hole punch

Cupping tool

Top & bottom fuller

Final Hammer

tempering is a part of heat treating

Try swinging the hammer HARD.

I put my fingernails to touch the top of my ear and then swing the hammer. Lots of motion, lots of impact force when needed. Move as much metal as you can with each swing. Then adjust your swing to the impact force that is needed. Also, metal moves better hot than cold.

I think Alec holds the record for causing the most blisters. Some of the guys got it pretty bad. I taped up as soon as I felt where the rubbing was and saved myself a lot of pain. But yea, we went through quite a bit of tape and bandaids!

The video can still be found in his YouTube channel. Until (if) he can re-upload a proper version, I can PM the link to anyone interested so that you can still watch it.

Of course, it would be great to have a family-rated version so that we can keep it here!

The following is a general comment not directed toward at mutant or anyone in particular.

When good information does not meet a G rated standard.

The information was not improved by missing the standard, and means that it did limit the audience that was available to view the video. 

Does it matter? The answer to that is yes. In viewing a video, there is information that a newbie, young person, or the viewer can put to use. To remove that information by not meeting a G rated standard is a judgment call. The author chooses how to present the subject matter and what to include or exclude. Then they  choose what to include or exclude when they shoot the video, the editor chooses what to include or exclude when they edit the video, and the publisher chooses what to include or exclude when they publish the video. Finally the viewer chooses what watch based on the rating.

This DOES NOT mean you can not say what you want in YOUR shop. In fact we defend your right to do so. You can peel the paint from the wall and send the dog running for cover, after all it is your shop. If there are ladies or children present, we should step up and remind you that as a gentleman you should respect their presence. 

We encourage all demographics, from all over the world, to enjoy blacksmithing and metal working. We want everyone to succeed and have as much fun working metal as we do. The G rated standard allows everyone to have a relaxed place where they feel comfortable to visit and learn.