I Forge Iron

I should've known better

Michael Cochran

I was quite surprised it didn't hurt more being in there. It was more irritating. Just one of many stories tho. More painful was the time a long jagged burr from the spatter of a resistance weld on the back edge of a car door pinned two of my fingers together from feeling it to see if I got it straight. Oh, that one had me sweating pulling it out. Many people have worse stories tho. Live, learn, try to prevent it in the future. 

Oh, since you mentioned welding. Invest in a good leather welding jacket. They are also good to wear while using a wire wheel. Keeps you from finding those wires that stick in your shirt later. And for my wire wheel on a 1hp buffer/grinder I wear the leather welding jacket, safety glasses and a face shield, and leather gloves. Let alone being very careful at that. 

Had a buddy weed whacking a few yrs. ago along an edge of a field in shorts and while working felt something hit his shin, when he looked there was a small scratch, little red spot on the leg.  He didn't think about it till 3-4 days later when he couldn't walk on it and puss was leaking out.  They took a 1" piece of rusty barbed wire out from between the 2 bones.  It took weeks to get all the infection out of the leg a couple additional operations and a lot of off time.  Only  lucky thing was it was workman's comp.  I have never whacked since without wearing my loggers chaps along with my logger's helmet.  Just not worth getting hurt.

I always wear my prescription safety glasses (which are cheaper than the other ones). And just this Monday, I got a face shield. What got me was this piece of hot that flew  off the metal when I hammered it and hit my cheek just below the glasses. I had resisted thinking this equipment would be a bother, that it would be heavy, uncomfortable. It is neither of these.