I Forge Iron

early 120 lb. Arm and Hammer Anvil

I just picked up this Anvil today from the shipping Co. I bought it off eBay after it had been listed a couple times as pick up only . the seller said he had it sold once but returned the money after finding shipping was to expensive through UPS.. ( I use a much cheaper freight co.)  the seller relisted it at a lower price and added a " make offer " option.. I made a overly low offer to accommodate the shipping cost expecting a refusal or counter offer and walked away and didn't look again until the next day.. I was very surprised he excepted the offer !!   the seller was a older gentleman of 80 yrs and was selling it for a old friends wife after his friend had passed.. it was in his friends auto body shop when he bought the shop and remained there the next 40 years that he ran the shop before he died.. it was covered with gray primer overspray which was about 1/8" thick in places and a couple globs of solder on the horn.. the globs came right off with the presser of a thumb nail.. I wire brushed it to get the overspray off and reviled all the great forging marks !!  it has a great ring and exceptional rebound !! I will wire wheel it with a angle grinder tomorrow for better results..

s-l1600[1] (14).jpg

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

Hello Black Frog ! I believe you had responded to the seller about this anvil the first time he listed it.. here are some of the logo, serial number, and a closer up of some of the forging marks.. looks like 408? not sure what that last mark is I though the first number was a 1 at first but after cleaning it some it looks like a 4...

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...