I Forge Iron

8.5" W2 Sanmai Gyuto

DanielC

I haven't posted blades in here in a long time. So here it goes....

I tend to gravitate towards the japanese in my culinary blades. Recently pounded out 4 big billets of sanmai, all of which were W2/1018. This is the first blade completed from the batch. The handle is stabilized maple burl, stabilized spalted black cherry burl, and a Ti spacer that I cut from a billet that I forged from a rough shaped chunk of Ti that came from a Ti foundry local to me. Saya is curly maple and walnut, with a Ti keeper. 2 more big blades, 2 honesuki and 1 general paring are on the bench still to be finished, and in different states of finish. There was a pair of paring knives, but sacrificed one for a break test as I was testing out a very good HT for W2 that worked wonders for the grain after all that heat.

Thanks for looking.

681h9xE.jpg

iFp2mIR.jpg

0rcdMri.jpg

wfFTpAB.jpg

KKTTpvP.jpg

lSGyAWi.jpg

Slne5qb.jpg

dSQ51ML.jpg

Thanks. The blade is unassumingly difficult to pull off. The welding temps of 1018 and W2 are wildly different, so you end up overheating W2. It takes very controlled and careful HT to get everything nice and right with the W2, and with the help of one of Kevin Cashen's disciples, I was able to employ such a HT recipe. To my elation, the grain on the break test blade yielded the finest W2 grain I have ever produced. Invisible to the naked eye, and hard yet under 30x.

I sharpen on natural japanese stones, and the combination of this fine grain, and the very fine muds that are produced on the various strata of stones, yielded an edge that was scary to simply touch.

I have another Gyuto and several Hanesuki from this batch of sanmai I produced earlier last month left to finish. More to come.