I Forge Iron

anvil id

has anyone ever seen an anvil like this? top half is forged (you can see the hammer marks under the tail in the pic) with a welded steel face. bottom half is definetly a casting. welded together at waist. another interesting trait is there is a long bolt which runs out the bottom (I didn't get a pic of that when I had it apart) which must have been put in before the bottom was welded to top. its 33 1/2" probably 34 when the horn had a point. face is 21x5 inches. unfortunately I got it from a welding shop and the face has several oxy-act gouges in it. I plan to fill in all the gouges in the top face and fix edges, so I can use it.

105_0812.JPG

105_0810.JPG

105_0811.JPG

I thought the same thing especially considering it came out of the welding shop of a foundry. wouldn't have been a big deal for them to make up a simple mold and pour in house with a small ladle. either way I plan on using it not a museum piece so doesn't bother me if its not original. and best part was I couldn't complain about price. 400 plus pound anvil for free.

13 minutes ago, Black Frog said:

It is a Trenton anvil.  The diamond logo is visible, as is some of the "TRENTON" lettering within.

A Trenton at that length and face dimensions would have started life as a lower 300 pound ballpark anvil.

When did they have anvils in ballparks?