I Forge Iron

Wood pellets for forge fuel

Newbie to blacksmithing. Have worked with metal but never on a forge. I am building a small forge to try my hand at this. Looking at a fuel source I wondered if wood pellets had been tried at all. I see raw wood being used and thought maybe it would be a more condensed  fuel.  Any thoughts?

I have a wood pellet stove so naturally I had to try it.  It only took me about a minute to decide it wasn't such a great idea.
Pellets are great for heating in stoves designed for their use, they are terrible for fueling a forge.
I recommend sticking to chunks of wood, lump charcoal, or regular coal.

• 3 weeks later...

How about moose, dear or other undulant pellets? Actually dry manure is an ancient forge fuel still in use. Bad feed corn works a treat it's oily enough to stick together like coke. We had a bag go south on us so I gave it a try, it was a current topic here at the time. I'm not generally in favor of burning food for forge fuel in a hungry world.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

Glad I finally found this thread. Saved me a $3.79 headache. Almost bought a bag yesterday when the big box store was out of lump charcoal. Went to a different store and found lump charcoal.

Guess it's time to get dressed and head out to the shop...

On 3/7/2017 at 2:26 PM, Frosty said:

Bad feed corn works a treat it's oily enough to stick together like coke. We had a bag go south on us so I gave it a try, it was a current topic here at the time.

Here's that discussion, which actually just got restarted: