I Forge Iron

Good morning from Portugal

Northumbrian

After years of wanting start blacksmithing, moving to a new country, now is a good a time as any.

New workshop almost finished, I think it's time to build a forge.

I would like to start bladesmithing, but to be honest I have no idea what I'll make...

I hope to learn from all of you on here, and maybe get good enough to contribute as well.

Cheers

Chris

Welcome to the site.

As to what to make? Start with finding a fuel in your location that is plentiful and cheap. Build a forge to use that fuel. The forge section of the site should be useful in coming up with a design. Locate a source for uncoated scrap metals. Many of your questions will be answered by reading the sections of the site that interest you. If you need project ideas, read the IFI Gallery which has 20,000 plus images. The projects shown are not difficult, just takes a little practice to make them look good.

Purchase a block of modeling clay. Practice making the projects in clay so when you go to the forge you will already know how to move the metal. Clay and metal move in much the same way. 

Make 25 of each item or project, each better than the last. By #26 you will find that move items or projects are just a series of simple little things added together. Practice refine your procedure and makes the next one easier. Do not be afraid of failure as it shows you what not to do, or does not work. Change something and make it work the next time. 

Thanks for the pointers and welcome, Glenn.

The most readily available fuel in my location is charcoal, with bottled gas next in line. However Charcoal appears to be the cheapest.

I've already been looking for ideas, on here, for both projects and forge designs, ultimately I think the forge will be governed by what refractory materials I can get. Which is looking more and more like bricks. I think to start off with I'll go for a mobile forge that I can set up as and when I need it, and then put it "away" afterwards.

The crazy part is I've been working with metal for over 25 years now, just never done any hot work. Plenty of welding both stick & TIG, some sheet work. Tons of machining, toolmaking & gunsmithing. Just never forged anything.

I've got a fairly well kitted out machine shop, including a heat treatment furnace, just no forge.

New country, new home, new shop, why not a new direction.