I Forge Iron

SLAG

On 3/12/2017 at 11:39 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Thermonuclear devices tend to get rid of things like Juglone too.   If you stop by one of the two days it's open a year I'll take you out to the Trinity Site; it was only fission; but it was the first!  (The Very Large Array, usually has a special tour that day too---lots more to see at the VLA as the basic premise of most nuclear bombs is to NOT leave a lot to see...)

Be honest, TP: how many black walnut trees were growing at the Trinity Site before the explosion?

Trinity Site was pretty cool.  Got a chance to go there a while back while on a guard summer camp mission to build the great wall.  Wish I would of known about the VLA, but we drove from Deming, so I doubt I could of convinced everyone to drive there after trinity, and then back to base. The year I went, the whole "site" was chain linked fenced off, so no Trinitite prospecting was allowed, but there were tables setup with Trinitite and Geiger counters to use on it. It might of been my east coast ocean front blood but even in the desert it felt a bit "warmer" there.

I would think wet sanding would cut down a lot on dust.  It makes me wonder what differences there are with working stabilized toxic woods vs. raw wood.

We used to get a lot of folks from Europe who were freaked out about the Trinity Site and *RADIATION*; I guess it didn't help to tell them they got a larger dose flying to America and that just living at 4000 to 5000' combined with the igneous rocks locally and the radionuclides in the water....(still it's much less a hazard than driving to work)

Herr Frosty,

Wet sandpaper will not raise up dust. But the wood dust-water slurry should be cleaned up before it dries.

Wetting wood brings up some wood grain. It's an old trick that woodworkers use. They wet the wood let it dry and, then ,dry sand the raised grain to get a super smooth finish.

The clouds of wood dust that electric sanders throw up, is the problem.

Auf wieder sehen alles,

SLAG.