Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SLAG

TOXIC WOODS !

4 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Many of the I. F. I. fraternity, also work with various woods.

For example, knife scales (knife handles), mixed media sculptures, etc. etc.

But many woods are problematic. And a minority of woods can cause all manner of serious problems, and a small number are extremely poisonous.

Some woods can cause difficulties such as

Irritation,

Skin sensitivity,

Allergies,

Allergy sensitivity to other woods.

nausea,

Brain, (neurological) problems,

Asthma,

Heart problems,

Lung problems,

Most of the problematic woods can be worked using a respirator, or outdoors, or with good dust control, eye protection, etc. (or a combination of the preceding measures).

A few woods are super poisonous and should be avoided altogether. For example Oleander, Sassafras, Laburnum, Greenheart, Milky mangrove, Manga, and Yew, etc.. (this bunch can cause heart damage among serious other problems).

Wood toxicity information is diffusely available on the net. A little bit here and a little bit there. In bits and drabs.

I have chanced upon a complete coverage of woods and their potential problems, on one list, & at one site.

Try this,

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

I strongly urge those who work with wood to have a look at that list. (especially when exotic woods are used, for example, for knife scales).

Regards to all the metal bangers on this site,

SLAG.

Generally speaking, highly aromatic woods or particularly oily woods are more likely to be toxic. Most of these evolved as natural insect repellents, especially in the tropics. Thus, aromatic cedars, rosewood, cocoblo, and so on are more likely to trigger an allergic reaction than, say, applewood or tiger maple.

I have one friend (a sculptor) whose entire bronchial tract got inflamed from breathing cocobolo dust, and another (an instrument maker) whose mouth broke out in blisters after the first time he played the new rosewood recorder he'd just turned at the lathe. The first time I worked with cocobolo in the art restoration studio, I was very careful with my dust mask, but my arms broke out in hives from contact with the dust.

Black Walnut is a good example of an American wood that causes problems.

Slag, thanks for the link. I will be sure to get it out to my woodworking friends.