I Forge Iron

Giant Frisbee, What can this be used for?

ede

I picked up this massive disc yesterday.  It was a hub on a gear reducer for a drilling rig in the oil/gas industry.  I'm not sure what to do with it, I know it weighs at least 100#'s.  I was thinking it could be a base to mount a post vise.  However, it has a hollow area underneath. 

The dimensions are as follows:  23" diameter, 2 1/8 thick base, 3 1/2" overall height, hole size 3/4".  When I picked it up yesterday I thought this weighed about a couple hundred pounds.  The guy that gave it to me said it's only 75-100.  I just weighed it and it it's at 208#!

Would this be practical to use as a base for a post vise, or what other uses would this have in a shop? 

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

What I would do if it is steel and not Cast iron, is I would weld a piece of tubing, weld a plate to the top, but have the plat the correct size so that the leg of the vice fits into one of the those holes that are on the outside of the disk. My vice stand is similar to that, but about half the size!

Littleblacksmith