I Forge Iron

Jeep leafsprings and a pair of coils

A little confused by your original post, and the question on value? Do you have to buy the springs, or were you looking to sell them? Value as smithing material is high because they can be used for tooling, knives, pretty much anything that requires a good grade of steel. Value as scrap is low, and that is why I have yet to buy any for myself. I recently had a set of springs off of a Jeep Cherokee given to me.

I get the stuff from my brother-in-law's mechanic shop, I go and haul it away for him and they were in the pile, so I saved them. I'm possibly looking to sell to a smith locally so was wondering what price to put on them. I think that's what the leafsprings came from, just know it was a jeep. I'd keep them but I haven't built my forges yet.

As a manner of "paying it forward", I would rather donate them to a local smith than try to sell them...most smiths can get them for free one way or another.  My local mechanic will give me any discarded springs or leafs for free if I just ask...they don't put a price on them...they just want the junk out of their shop.  If you might need them in the future, just keep them.  That way you won't have to go scrounging some from a scrap pile or a smith who has an abundance and would be happy to give you some of his.  I know that I have been given springs like that for free and if I had enough to work with, gladly shared with other smiths.

For your leaf springs, try a spring or suspension shop in your area.  Once they replace a leaf spring set, the old ones are useless to them.  I found a great source for coil springs, leaf springs, and suspension bars (torsion bars, tie rods, etc.) being the aftermarket off-road conversion shops.  They sometimes even have brand new take-offs when a customer brings in a Jeep, big 4x4, Hummer or something like that straight from the dealership and has a lift kit, new heavy duty suspension parts, etc. put on it.  My son and I went to a shop near Atlanta once, and the counter guys told me to go check out the bin in the shop.  We found a 6' x 6' square bin that was about 4' deep of brand new, bar code sticker still on them, coils, tie rods, anti-sway bars, no dirt, nothing etc. spotless clean!  They let me take a few coils and rods; I didn't take more so as not to appear greedy and maybe get more later.  

I've been trading a bottle opener for peoples shot coil springs. If they weren't interested in trading I suppose I might give em $5 for a pair, but I wouldn't pay any more than that. I've had some bad timing with mechanics having their scrap picked up the day before I call, so I resorted to Craigslist and still have found a couple pairs of coil springs

Let's see, you have access to free materials, ie springs (which have only ferrous scrap monetary value). You do not have your forge up and running yet.

Solution: Find a local smith, baldesmith, hoby smith, that would like to trade you some scrap springs for forge time, lessons to get you up and started.

They would likely be able to help you get sorted with a forge and tooling, you'd learn and no matter how much fun forging is, it's nearly always more fun with someone else! Is there an assocciation or group local to you?

Hi MOkid, 

Search away. I would be shocked if you can't rustle up a smith or three in short order. Search ABANA groups. 

You're never going to get rich off of spring scrap but it's worth keeping in moderate amounts. 

Have a metal detector? Go find a wrought iron scrap pile from an old blacksmith's shop. 

Ok, find the contact info for the secretaries of each organization. Contact them and they should be able to point you to someone close.....er. If they're good at their job they'll try to recruit you. 

Someone may pipe up here sooner or later. AND, not all smiths get into smithing groups. Smith's have a strong "loner" streak. Go figure. 

If you haven't read                    Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique                  DO! Apply this technique for finding local blacksmiths.

You know they need metal, coal or propane and in varying degrees, welding supplies. Metal suppliers, feed stores and welding suppliers would be another place to ask questions to help you find.....your people. 

You stated that your town is just under 5000 populus, and I take it surrounded by farmland or similar homesteads, The chances that you are the only person in your immediate area within 30 mins drive that has an interest in blacksmithing or bladesmithing are pretty slim.....how far away does the local farrier live?

No reason why you can't do it on your own, but......who were you expecting to sell the spring to?