I Forge Iron

Need information

Anvils don't get "very old" until they are over 200 years old.  Many smiths are doing their work on 100 to 150 year old anvils.  HB's don't date that early.

Hay Budden was a top American anvil maker, made anvils in Brooklyn NY.  They are a ringing anvil.  Condition of the face, (thickness, damage, result of the ball bearing test), size of anvil and style all factor into it's value as does LOCATION; even just in the USA the cost can vary by 50% or more. As more than 100 countries participate here we can't make an estimate of price until we know if it should be in Rupiah or Australian Dollars or Euros, Rubles, Colones,...

Note any grinding or welding on the face usually drops the value by 50% or more!  I've seen about a dozen anvils that were in good using condition that were "repaired" to scrap status by highly trained welders or machinists who didn't understand smithing....

On 2/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, Jwr said:

This anvil is very old it's aHay Budden  160 lbs and serial number is 1824 36

Sounds like you already answered your question. 

You have an anvil- It is 160 lbs, and it has a serial number of 182436. Its a Hay Budden. There are hundreds of posts on IFI telling the merits of each anvil brand. 

I'll preempt what might be coming: What is worth is dependent of location, market value, and quality of the anvil. Use it in good health, and good luck smithing!