I Forge Iron

Forge share/time rental

briglacher554

Hello, 

I found this forum through underhill forge.  I am interested in trying my hand at some bladsmithing and am currently looking into an affordable class in the lancaster/philly area.  If that goes well i would be interested in continuing, but do not have the money or space for a forge of my own.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a community forge or where you can rental space or time?

No money?  I've made a beginners setup for under US$25: Anvil, Forge, Blower, basic tools and it didn't even require welding!

No space?  I've had a forge that fit in a 5 gallon bucket with all the tools but anvil and stump!

I have the feeling that you do not actually have a good grasp at the wide range of blacksmithing options out there.

As for shared equipment, have you checked in with the local ABANA affiliate?   They will be the best place to meet local smiths.

Please thank J for referring you to IForgeIron for us. 

As Thomas said, blacksmithing for the beginner does not have to cost a lot of money. Pack a lunch and a cold drink and read the areas of interest to you on the IForgeIron site. This will give you an idea of what is involved as well as answer many of your questions. Contact your the local ABANA affiliate and go to the meetings. You can learn more in a day than you can ever imagine. 

Do a site search for TPAAAT.

19 hours ago, Stash said:

The PABA gang has a meeting tomorrow ( Sat, 2/11) in Mount Joy, just outside of Lancaster.

There is still time, go to the meeting. There should be blacksmithing equipment for sale there, including anvils. 

What Thomas is implying is that what most people imagine they need isn't really necessary. When You say you need an anvil, you're probably picturing a London pattern anvil. But realistically, all you NEED is a large piece of steel. Do research on "post anvils". I know bladesmiths who do the vast majority of their work on homemade post anvils such as an 80# piece of 6" round bar standing on end. Pieces like that can be found for dirt cheap at scrap yards or bought from metal fabrication or supply companies. Last week I picked up a 2"x3"x30" piece for 15$ from a surplus shop.

I'd post pictures, but my phone seems to be having issues

Checking in after a great PABA meeting. Don't know if you were there or not. By my count, there were 5 anvils for sale, 3 vises, 3 blowers, 1 complete forge, as well as all the other bits and bobs you would need to set yourself up. The pricing was reasonable, better than what goes on Craigs list. Crazy Ivan was there and did a demo in the afternoon- a 5# cross pien hammer. A great time was had by all. This thought goes out to all beginners out there- find your local gang, and get yourself to the meetings.

Steve

Thanks for the info everyone. I wasn't able to make it to the meeting on the 11th but I'll keep an eye out for the next. 

As for the makeshift anvil...that's a good idea and I'll look into it. 

This seems like a right community that helps each other and I like that. 

Thanks again

Online is generally the most expensive place to buy anvils.  repeat that to yourself until you can break the online habit and start finding stuff on the cheap.  In my example above the anvil was a broken knuckle from a RR car Coupler, weighed about 80 pounds, had a flat side and a curved side and was *free*.  My local scrapyard will sell you a 4"x4"x8" block of steel for US$16, used dies from plastic molding make great anvils and can be gotten for scrap price if you make the correct contacts.

I see a lot of people posting that they are trying to do things the most expensive way possible and so smithing costs too much.

I was talking to an old retired Rancher after church today; about 5 years ago he *gave* away a cast steel anvil in mint condition.

Remember that there were more anvils in the CITIES than in the country so go find them!