I Forge Iron

Make an anvil.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well who said it had to be granite? The face doesn't have to be polished. Just makes for nicer final work.  Fine... I'll find an uglier rock.... 

If you did want a piece of granite I'm sure a grave stone cutting place has some mess ups the might part with cheap. And granite counter top is just too thin to use as an anvil. ;) 

Haha. We'll just be careful to avoid "mild" rock. Granite is notoriously tough hard stuff. Not all rocks are created equal ;) I suppose concrete would be the cast iron of rock. I can attest from misguided attempts to become a blacksmith when I was a child, using concrete as an anvil only produces a very angry father :o

Be careful walking rivers and picking up rocks. The riparian police can make it an unpleasant day for you. All items along the river operator's right of way are property of the river operator, even if they are just leftovers from the last realignment....... ;)

Instead of pictures, you need to make a YouTube video that can be shown to the I can't find an anvil crowd. 

And yes, monument companies often toss headstones that were marked wrong. A few over on leatherworker.net have been given 4" thich slabs for tooling.

Daswulf this captured my interest.  There is a closed iron  mine not far from me that has some exceptionally hard rock.  It contains magnetite which pushes the specific gravity up pretty high for rock.  When spring comes my boy and I might poke around and look for an ASR.  Thanks

Das & Big Gun,

The real property rights to chattels (non land property/movables, a.k.a. personal property), in the stream/river and stream banks is governed by State law. The old Common Riparian  Law may apply in many states. But more often, a state's statute law has changed those rights (this on a state by state basis).

So' a call to the state attorney general or a law school in the state should get you that information.

OR: you can search the appropriate state law on the net.

Riparian law gave the owner of the property adjacent to the river or stream bank to the right to all personal property up to the center of the river/stream, (on the river bottom).

Obviously, I do not think that a property owner that is adjacent to the mighty Mississippi or very mighty Missouri (or other great) river would be able to claim such property. (but I am not 100% certain.) Navigation is a Federal jurisdiction.

There are no "Riparian Police" that I am aware of.

The property owner could charge the person, removing material with trespass. He might even be obliged to get a positive court injunction against such property removal.

SOOO check your state law.

Regards to all potential granite anvil hunters. Don't forget you star drills, rock (engineer's) hammers, and plug & feathers.

And regards to all i.f.I. members and denizens.

SLAG.

By the mighty Mississippi, & very mighty Missouri rivers. (their confluence is just south of St. Louis).

hmm... In all honesty, there are No posted signs and no houses or marked property anywhere near. I will probably still go anvil hunting. I know an area up the river is owned by a rafting outfit but where this beach is there is no known authority. Lets say it's off a poorly beaten path. I am learning some things and it's all interesting.

I think he's taking this thread for granite.  No schist jokes, this is a family friendly forum.  

Vermont has nice river and lake user laws, up to the high water mark is state controlled and open to all but game wardens and state troopers are usually on the ball enough to take care of abuses.  It's considered good form to ask permission from the landowner to cross the dry land to get to the river.  

What's this nonsense about lift capacity to select a RSA Das? Back up to a hill with under your selection on it and roll it in, roll it out to unload. Just don't smoosh your jeep, that'd make it a HS, Hammer Stone. 

Oh come ON Judson, a no schist attempt is just too flaky to slate you a joke score.

Some basalts are fine grained and hard, some are coarse or even vesicular and much too friable to make much of an anvil. The one I used on the river years back was a maffic possibly a hornblend it was smooth as glass and hard as a . . . rock. When we were doing the dirt work here the State was rehabbing Vine road and the contractor was delighted to drop the waste material from the roadway here rather than half a mile down a steep hill.

Anyway, I have an ultra maffic boulder decorating our driveway that came with a load in a 20 yard ed dump, commonly called a Cat Wagon or Rock buggy. As the load was dumping this boulder shifted to the rear and before it could clear the bed it stood the 20 yd. on it's tail. The boulder had it pinned and there wasn't enough room in the driveway to get one of his dozers past to clear the load. fortunately I was running a D6 spreading the loads and was able to snag it enough to get it out. The D6 couldn't budge it at all, zippo hardly a quiver.  The contractor had his dozer operator move it out of the way with his D10 and it's set in that very spot ever since. 18 years and narry a movement in spite of a plow truck operator thinking he'd just shove snow against it.

Uh, that's a  long Frosty ramble to say I have a beautiful ASR but we'd have to move the shop to use it.

Frosty The Lucky.