I Forge Iron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd just arc a piece of leaf spring to the desired radius and weld a pipe handle / shank to it, draw the temper pretty far, just shy of purple maybe and grind a chisel edge on the inside of the gouge. It IS a slick after all.

Bending the radius for a one off can be done on a plywood form. Mark the radius with a pencil on a string or piece of wire compass and saw it out. You can put a reciprocating saw on a wire arm and cut circles, EZ. PZ.

Cut the leaf longer than you need for the blade so there's room to grip it with tongs heat it to high orange low yellow and it'll lay on the circle form like a good puppy. Then it's just a matter of trimming, rough grinding, welding the pipe shank on and heat treating. Sharpen it after it's tempered of course. 

If the wood is too tough to gouge by hand a piece of water pipe with a cap on one end that slides over the tool's pipe handle / shank makes a slid hammer you don't have to carry unless you need it. 

I started thinking of it as a shank once I realized how easy it turns into a slide hammer.

Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.