I Forge Iron

Metal Lines Darkening

When I worked in the art restoration studio, we would get that effect by rubbing the piece with black shoe polish and then buffing with a shoe brush and then with a clean cloth. Start with just a little; it's easier to add more than it is get out too much.

There are specific compounds---like liver of sulfur for copper, that are used to patinate various metals.  Check in a good jewelry *supply* company catalog for them  (Rio Grande has an online catalog, search on patina)---or you can just use paint or shoewax for a less long lasting version

Sheokapeba,

An Indian chemical supply house or a friend who works in a chemical research laboratory may be able to sell you or give some active chemical reagent.

I do not think that they would have specific "metal contrast chemical".

But if you determine what reactive chemicals are used, you can then ask, specifically, for those chemicals from the above named sources.

There must be chemical supply houses that specifically carry metal contrast reagents. Try contacting such a seller or, if necessary, call a manufacturer that makes such sculptures. They should be able to recommend a supplier.

India is a huge market and there are a lot of murti makers to learn the source of what you require.

Regards,

SLAG.

Cannings or Hockley Chem. in Birmingham, used to make a lacquer to do just that job. I have a 30 year old tin somewhere. It has a pigment which collects in the grooves. It was used by the brass industry for just that sort of ornamentation. I think it was called self relieving or self revealing or similar.

Alan