I Forge Iron

Another Tyrannosaurus wrench

Aus, he looks good and angry! Nice job forging out his tail. I like the forged out claws. Is that Harrington on the side?

On a side note, I was at harbor freight and they had 36" pipe wrenches for $23.usd. They had Pittsburgh on them ( the city I'm near) I couldn't resist a try at another tyrannosaurus. Unfortunately in an attempt to forge out the tail I found out the handles are cast iron and crumbled. Oh well. It could still make a large dragonfly. 

Yeah, I think the bits of ring gear in his jaws add to the angry look. The claws are old gutter brackets split in the forge.  T-rex pictures show the front legs disproportionately small but I guess that's how they were. Photographs are rare!

Das, I have also struck those pipe wrench handles that crumble in the forge. This one was OK - heavy going though. Yes, add some garden sheer blades for wings and make a monster dragonfly. Nothing gets wasted.

The name on the side is Garrington - a British tool company I think.  I have a Garrington shifting spanner amongst my forge tools - they are good quality so it won't become a shifty lizard.  Gotta have some respect for the good stuff!

4 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

cute!

This sort of thing - it is not hard to physically make the product, - but the mind that can look at the pile of parts and work out how to actually put it all together to make stuff like this is something special!

You are right. Welding the thing together is the end of a longer process of finding the right bits and, above everything else, keeping a sense of proportion. Das would agree, proportion is critical in these sculptures. And a twisted sense of humour is an advantage.

Lol Aus, yeah proportion is pretty important for them to look good.  From concept to welding has a lot inbetween. And some after. And standing a 24" pipe wrench up ( let alone a 36")with a curved tail while trying to tack on legs in the right spot can get tricky. :)  a twisted sense of humor always helps, and some cold beverages. 

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

. And standing a 24" pipe wrench up ( let alone a 36")with a curved tail while trying to tack on legs in the right spot can get tricky. :) 

Yep. And the bloke who invented vice-grip pliers should be knighted.