I Forge Iron

Looking for advice... Trenton Anvil

This anvil is for sale and I will be traveling to purchase it this Saturday if the feedback here is decent. I have read the anvil testing guidelines and understand them. Here are some pics just in case there is something that stands out immediately to people with more knowledge than I currently do.

00000_iT9aEMATZk8_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_bVyfmgAE0Vg_1200x900.jpg

01414_f7OytDyGgc0_1200x900.jpg

Sure looks like the heel is broken off. No pritchel hole or hardy hole. You could build what is called a portable hole though. Face looks good. If your tests turn out good, point out its broken and explain what it will take you to recreat the holes in another device and perhaps you can get it cheap. 1 dollar per pound maybe or less. Its hard to judge the weight from dimensions. If you can afford 100$ I think that would be max unless your desperate for an anvil.  Let us know how it tests. Thats the real determining factor. 

27 minutes ago, Sargos said:

I have access to a machine shop behind my work, it is very possible I could have a plate welded to the top to include the hardy and pritchel holes added back to the plate.

Probably not a good idea; you could easily ruin the heat treatment of the face. If you have access to a machine shop, making a portable hole is probably a much better idea. If you need some inspiration (or some ideas of what NOT to do), take a look at the one I made.

That's right, you have an anvil registry going...  will do.

6 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Probably not a good idea; you could easily ruin the heat treatment of the face. If you have access to a machine shop, making a portable hole is probably a much better idea. If you need some inspiration (or some ideas of what NOT to do), take a look at the one I made.

I will look at that, thank you.

I saw the other filers anvil. I just missed out on a coal forge, buffalo blower, and an anvil last weekend. I have gathered materials to build my own coal forge and even set it up and tested it...  now my wife says...  "Not in the garage" so I need to build a shed outside. Slow going but it's going.

That's a fine anvil as she sits Sargos. Shes taken some heavy use and abuse but welding on a plate isn't going to do anything but reduce her value as a tool and maybe damage her irreparably. Make yourself a portable hole if you must have a hardy hole. That fine old lady is ready to go to work right now, any "restoration or repair" is more likely to shorten her useful life significantly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well...  second anvil I have missed out on in a week. Prices are pretty high in this area, or maybe it's just me needing to adjust my viewpoint. I have a couple more possibilities... but they are relying on somebody that knows somebody else that has one that might be for sale. 

I have read that actually, I have feelers out everywhere. I might have found a source via my Uncle, only about an hour away...  old hunting buddy of his. Of course the wait and see part of the situation is killing me....  I haven't been this excited about anything since I was a little kid and it was Christmas time.

Here are a couple pictures of "Portable Hardy Hole" unit that JHCC mentioned on here, that I won at a New England Blacksmith meet last fall.  The second picture shows the attaching unit but it is not 100% in place but I think you  can figure it out.  It was 0 f when I went to the show to take the pictures and I didn't linger long.  These are for sale through NEBs don't know the price but PM me if interested and I'll give you a name & number of someone who can, these are shippable.  I don't think they have made the web sight yet of New England Blacksmiths. 

DSCF1735_4546.JPG

DSCF1738_4549.JPG