I Forge Iron

Tail Lift Hydraulics any good?

JonDoh

Hi all,

Quick question, I can get hold of a full working set (cheap) of hydraulics from a large delivery vans tail lift, not the weedy little ones, the type you wheel a pallet on to.

Any good for a small forge press?

I don't do massive billets of pattern welded steel and only have the tinyest of workshops, but would like to reduce some of my anvil time to appease neighbors noise wise.

For a forging press you need speed as well as power. Those have the power, but may not be fast enough. You need to figure the volume of the ram, and the displacement of the pump is usually listed as GPM-gallons per minute. That will give you the ram speed. There are a few threads covering this.

On the safety side. How much do YOU know about hydraulics? There are much safer things to mess around with, a pinhole leak can do pretty nightmarish things to you some you won't even notice till your internal organs start shutting down.

About your question, it CAN be done just be VERY careful. There are more things can go wrong with a home built hydraulic tools than can be listed in a couple pages here. How good a welder are you? That's just item two of a long list.

Frosty The Lucky.

if it is off a delivery van it will be weedy, something off a 30 tonner may be stronger but they are slow and you need speed also you will need a 24 volt dc supply rated at least at 50 amps continuous ( not a 50 amp battery charger as these are mostly exaggerating their output, start and charge units are only good for a minute or so ).

have you welded things like this before that are made to take this sort of repeated load, my first press was probably made early in the 1980s and I sold it in good working order a year or so ago after using it for thousands of operations some weeks

Thanks for the replies, 

In answer to the safety questions, not enough and terrible :)

Really I am asking as I can get the hardware cheap "right now", its a long term plan for me, I'm not a must have it right now person and I certainly wouldn't weld it myself.

Being a hobby guy with not much money I have learnt that making a plan, then waiting for the right pieces to fall into place nets me the best results.

Mr Dwarf, I will take you up on that some day, we did speak before about making me a hood but I found a friend of a friend to do it for beer money, though they are not the kind of welder I would ask to take this job on.