I Forge Iron

Fishing for Stellite ideas

Kozzy

Going through some scrap materials today and I ran across some Stellite pieces I acquired long ago--they used to be teeth for tunnel boring machines and were never used.  I have a couple of dozen of them in a couple of different shapes.  

Obviously Stellite can't be forged--only brazed into place-- but this stuff is so hard and wear resistant that I've been waiting for a good idea on what to do with some of them.  Hoping that someone might have some wild notion for a useful tool to tip with such a thing.  The only thing I can come up with at this point as insert faces in small hammers for some texturing but that doesn't take much advantage of the hardness available in Stellite.  For those who have never handled Stellite, it's as heavy as carbide but not all that brittle.  Super heat resistant too.  Grinding doesn't come easily and generally has to be done with diamond tools so reshaping probably isn't in the cards.  I do have diamond saws available so cutting is an [unpleasant and slow to do] option.

So..as I said I'm just fishing.  You never know when someone might have some brilliant out-of-the-box idea to offer.  Nothing critical--just floated to the top of the pile today.

Here's an example of a few

stellite.jpg