I Forge Iron

forge design\blue prints needed!

ryannick29

Hi everyone, 

i am glad i found this forum, i was searching the internet for awhile for good plans on how to build a forge until i came across this site, and there are a lot of great ideas on here.

i was hoping to build a back yard forge and if anybody out there had a good set of drawings i might be able to reference so i can build my own, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

ryan

it will be inside under a roof in a non heated insulated garage, just small to medium pieces. i live in southern Manitoba, so the climate is cold and dry in the winters, and hot and humid in the summers. I do have a full time job and 2 young kids, i was hoping to build it in the coming months and have it ready for summer.

Ideally i would like to build one out of brick, if it stays in one place for a long time is not a concern.

my main concern is how to build a forge that creates a hot enough flame and how to supply the proper amount of air                                                                                      

i am new to this, please bare with me

thanks

I would not suggest a permanent set up until you are settled into the craft and know what you like.  Getting a solid fuel forge hot is not generally an issue.  I could take a shovel out to the back yard and dig a hole and stick a piece of blackpipe down into and use a blow dryer and be burning steel with no problems.

What are your skills?  Do you weld?  There have been a number of lovely setups folks have welded up even recently.

I once built a forge from a brake drum that didn't need any welding that I used to weld up damascus billets with.

Have you looked at the books  Backyard Blacksmithing and The Complete Modern Blacksmith?

Can you scrounge a gas grill cart?

Another consideration is your budget. What can you afford to spend on materials? And like Thomas mentioned, can you weld? What tools do you have to work with? 

looking through the solid fuel forge section may get you some ideas. Start with the pinned posts.

Hey thanks guys, I'll check that stuff out, I've been looking through some of the other posts and came across a couple nice welded tables. My skills are, I completed a carpentry apprenticeship when I was 23, and I recently completed a pipefitting apprenticeship. I've been in the pipe fitter trade for about 7 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with working with metal, welding, grinding, etc. 

I don't want to spend a great deal of money, But I would like to build a decent forge, something I won't have to rebuild in a few years.

I have also read the complete modern blacksmith. That's all I have read so far, a lot about tool making which will be great for the future.

Why not build something quick and simple so you can start playing in the fire, while you research and plan your second forge. The lessons you learn from the first forge may greatly alter your thoughts as to what you actually need in a forge.

May I suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink and as Daswulf suggested look through the solid fuel forge section. A brake drum forge or the 55 Forge is simple to make, inexpensive, and works.

Side blast forges are even simpler and easier to make, and work.

You want really simple? 

A forge is nothing more than something to hold the fire.  So move that hole in the ground up to table top high, easier on the knees. A modification to the pile of dirt on a table top would be a stack of bricks. Put a layer of brick or an inch or two of ash in the bottom of the forge to insulate the top of the table from the heat. 3/4 or 1 inch black iron pipe from the side and a hair dryer and you got a working forge. 

Your first forge only has to last until you build your second forge. (grin)

I like! Wish I had thought that way when I started,  but I tend to put things into what i call "estate sale prospective"    I want my kids to have a unique experience at that point in time. So I try to build items of conversation, maybe value.  Prolly morbid idk...

The difference between a rivet forge and the original 55 Forge is finding a rivet forge for $125 to $150 or more used and over $400 new, or finding a 55 gallon drum.

You said I don't want to spend a great deal of money,  so it is your call.

Better for your kids to have a unique experience while you are still around!   One family thanksgiving I brought a travelling set up and all the adults were welcome to come outside and *play*.  Meanwhile I had brought miniature anvils for the kids and 4 oz ball peens and no lead solder so they could forge on the other side of the patio too.

Ya good call Glenn, those suckers aren't cheap, I do know a guy where I might be able to get a 55 gallon drum, that seems like the best way to go for now. 

And in the near future I'll hopefully figure out a more long term alternative. Having the kids grow up with something like this is definitely a consideration, I don't know anyone who does this as a hobby or job around these parts. Thanks a lot for the help guys