I Forge Iron

Pricing assistance required.

Sargos

I will be needing assistance from a moderator or a moderator endorsed person. I have the opportunity to view and photograph a collection of 20+ anvils, various forges, possible other forging equipment. 

What I need to do is...

1) properly identify each item

2) estimate what should be payed for each item

3) estimate what each item should sell for

I am extremely new to this entire craft and have very little knowledge of my own. Frankly I am surprised this opportunity came my way, still trying to figure that out. This could be a very exciting way to educate myself (with the forums assistance) and perhaps find some excellent gear at a fair price.

Thank you,

John

Lemme get this straight---you are being contracted to document and appraise an existing collection/hoard of smithing related tooling for future resale or insurance reasons?

That's actually a LOT more work than it seems at first because to do the job right, you also have to document comps to justify the data you come up with.  Professionally, it's much more than just giving your opinion.  Be sure to include enough hours because done right, it'll take more than you think.

Long ago I was associated with an expert appraiser of L. Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz author) books.  She wouldn't touch an appraisal for less than a couple of hundred bucks because of the support documentation she needed to produce which often took many days.  Obviously most anvil collections would be a little less finicky but you really need to suss out the clients expectations before the job to know how many hours will be needed. 

But one thing gives me a bit of a hiccough: Normally, it is considered an ethical violation for an appraiser (or even estimator) to purchase from any collection or items which they provide appraisal.  The reasons are obvious and the only hole in that ethical quandary is for well advertised auctions, where it is clear that the special knowledge gained in the appraisal process can have no influence on the outcome.  Not even hinting that you would "cheat"--but you might have that ethical duty to exclude yourself from purchases in certain cases.  Just something to consider.

I am not contracted, I was merely asked to take a look for someone that is considering making an offer. This is a personal collection (a hoard might be very appropriate terminology), not in a museum...  and I have no idea at this time what condition it is in at this time. From what I understand the seller is considering taking it all to a metal recycler and being paid by the pound for it. My role would merely be helping do research to figure out what may or may not be worth saving from the recycler....   I have a previous hobby of trying to save older Willys vehicles and full size Jeep vehicles (M-series, Wagoneers, Cherokees, J-series) I hate seeing good metal go to the recycler...  just about as much as I hate dealing with 3" thick bondo over cancerous rust.

Thanks.  Clarifies it much better.  I wrongly concluded it was likely an estate appraisal situation--those can get dicey without plenty of documentation to keep Crazy Aunt Zelda from thinking she's being cheated.

Photograph and document everything about each anvil. The opportunity may not come your way again. We can then post the images in the anvil section under each make of anvil for reference.

As Biggundoctor says, offer double scrap prices to start with, to keep them out of a scrap yard. I would consider this an one off deal and suggest you put it on the tailgating section of IForgeIron so they can go to a good home. You can always give her additional money later if an anvil were to be sold. 

They should not go to scrap. Even an anvil in poor condition could be a treasure to a beginner. (And you couldn't offer double scrap prices in Australia ... I think double 0 is still 0!). Keep us informed how you get on ... and we do like pics. :P