I Forge Iron

Need help identifying an anvil

So I picked up this anvil that has "Norris" stamped on one side and what appears to be English stones stamped on the opposite indicating it is 114 lbs (1.0.2). I thought it must be a fisher Norris but no eagle and no "fisher". From what I have read fisher also doesn't use the old English weight system. 

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

Welcome aboard Chaise, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

There are a lot of guys here who know more about anvils than I do so don't be too surprised if I'm wrong but I BELIEVE Norris was an anvil maker who collaborated with Fisher or they merged or. . . ? 

Nice job taking pics, lots of angles and oblique lighting in many, well done. Please do NOT try restoring or repairing that beautiful old lady, there isn't a thing wrong with her. If you're going to put her into use rounding the edges is about all I'd do, square sharp edges are NOT a good thing. However the little bit of chipping and mushrooming of the edges now is a desirable trait if you're looking to put it on display as an antique.

No, we're not really in favor of putting good working tools on display, especially in gardens and such but that's far better than sending it to the scrapper or doing a bunch of misguided grinding and milling trying to return it to "new" condition. That almost invariably destroys any utility an anvil has. A couple hours with a grinder can take a century off an anvil's useful life.

Nice score by the way, she's a beauty.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the help. I feel pretty confident it is a Norrisez based on what you all have posted. I'm new to the craft this is my first anvil purchase. I purchased it with the intent of knocking the rust off with a wire wheel and just oiling it down before I use it. Any ideas on age? or value?  I picked it up for $250 which seemed to be going rate in my area. Any other recommendations on care or maintenance of her?

i also updated my location. 

• 9 months later...

Well.... the FNG (from Manitoba, Canada) is going to wade into the discussion and respectfully disagree with the experts. I came across a very similar anvil yesterday, and it is in this case, very clearly stamped Norris. I was wondering if John H Norris had sold some before he went into partnership with Fisher, but apparently no such luck. I contacted the Fisher/Norris museum and this is what they had to say.... "Your Norris anvil was probably made in England. It does have some value as it is a small forged anvil and is in good shape. Norris was a friend of Mark Fisher in Newport, Maine who financed the anvil operation. He was not an anvil maker. He was a silent partner with money whose name has stayed around."

So it would seem these anvils most likely came out of England from an unrelated source. I think the one I came across may be an older version (late 1800's?) as the design seems somewhat cruder... or it was made by an inexperienced anvil maker. 

anvil norris1.jpg

anvil norris2.jpg