I Forge Iron

Proper tools

Gerald Boggs

Welcome aboard Flux, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

And WHERE are the pics of your tongs, Hmmmmmm? No pics we don't believe they exist. :P

I'd suggest you start with something lighter than 3/4", 5/8" sq. is a nice stock size for tongs. A scrounged coil spring from 1/2" wire makes nice light tongs with plenty of spring for grippage. 4140 is a favorite for light and strong.

Be aware though, if you use a higher carbon steel you need to either keep the tongs from getting into the red heats or let them cool slowly if they do get that hot. I like old coil springs but I have a few.

Frosty The Lucky.

When you ask all nice like that I have no choice but to post the pics of set #3.  These were drawn from 3/4" stock, which totally feels like overkill.  I have no idea how to take good pictures of long things.

Observations I've made myself ahead of the next pair: 

• Reins should be equal length (easy to fix, silly, really)
  • Reins could be shorter
  • Rivet should have been a hair shorter to not be so sloppy
  • Jaws are a bit duck-billed.  Holds my 5/8" stock just fine but I should refine them some more
  • I should throw another twist in my watering can handle.

Also found my profile to add that I'm in Kitchener, Ontario. 

C5ELVXKVYAAJl9x.jpg

My preference is to use round, I find it easier to get the transitions from bit to boss and reins... I also prefer 5/8" to 3/4" that has sufficient volume if you handle it well...  If you get good at slitting, you can use 3/8" x 1" flat forge a jaw on each end and then split the reins apart.  Then you can finish drawing out the reins and smooth them out and break corners and such... :-)