I Forge Iron

Need help identifying really old anvil

I was hoping I could get some help identifying an anvil which I believe is really old. I pretty much don't know anything about it other than I grew up with it in my fathers shop as something to beat on and now that I am getting into forge work it's becoming more intriguing. It is 15.5" overall length x 9.5" tall x 4" wide. From those dimensions the horn is 5.5" long and the face is 4" x 10". Any ideas? Thank you.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Maker would depend a lot on what country you are in of the 100 plus different ones that participate in the site, (someone says he has an old car what make is it usually has a different pool of answers in the USA vs Russia vs Australia vs France, etc.)

But anyway yes it is an old anvil.  Short heel, small feet and lack of a pritchel makes it most likely an english anvil from before the 1820's and so at least 200 years old which is the breakpoint for "old" for anvils.

Still got some life in it; use it proudly! And do not grind on the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to an exact maker that's tough as there were several hundred english makers and a lot of them made anvils that look very much the same.  Try to look on the sides for faint markings; low level light or flour brushed along it can sometimes help make some hidden ones legible. Even a few letters might point to a specific maker.

There is really no way to positively identify your anvil except to say:  It was probably made pre-1800.  It was probably made in England.   It is a forged anvil made from wrought iron, and had a steel faceplate forge-welded on.  It has had a long life with a lot of use.  Enjoy it for what it is, a member of your family for a long time.