I Forge Iron

Wood burning stove surround & hearth

Ironman916

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

NICE HEAT SHIELD! You can buy magnetic spring clips and hang gloves behind the stove to dry. I "tiled" the concrete backer board standoff behind our stove with polychrome slate. I like yours better. LOTS.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks! I like your name for it better, "heat shield" makes more sense.

8 hours ago, Tommytaptap said:

Any explanation of what it is made up of please?

Just 1.5" X .125 angle & 1" X .125 flat bar. And the sheets are 12 gauge I believe. I also welded in some angle under the hearth to support the weight of the stove.

I have a friend who used an old slate roof to cover the walls around his woodstove, (I'd found it and told him about it stacked inside a collapsing garage that the owner wasn't interested in)  Made a great place to warm up after being outside in the cold but lacked the mitten and sock drying facility...

2 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Is there any insulation behind the vertical section (even just some air space), or does it rely entirely on reflecting the heat back into the room to protect the wall?

There's some air space behind it.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have a friend who used an old slate roof to cover the walls around his woodstove, (I'd found it and told him about it stacked inside a collapsing garage that the owner wasn't interested in)  Made a great place to warm up after being outside in the cold but lacked the mitten and sock drying facility...

I haven't thought much about the sock/ mitten drying abilities. Now I'm even more excited to install the stove!

Gotcha.

Here's a thought: instead of the sheet steel panel, have ceramic tile or slate on the vertical section (the strapping would frame them nicely) with narrow horizontal slots at the top and the bottom. Air would enter at the bottom slot, absorb heat from the tile as it rises (cooling the wall as well), and exit through the top slot (essentially the principle of the vented Trombe wall). A friend of mine in Vermont has such an arrangement tiled into the wall behind their wood stove, but it would look great with a metal frame. (Just make sure that the frame has room to accommodate the different coefficients of expansion for the different materials.)

This isn't meant as criticism, by the way: the surround looks awesome as is. I'm just thinking that if you're doing this as an item for sale, the air circulation heater could be an appealing option for the customer -- at a premium, of course!

Another thing I have done with *my* woodstove (whose "surround" is an adobe wall down the middle of our house) is to take some slabs of soapstone, (one is an old foot warmer, the other is a section of old lab bench top from when they were soapstone!) and placed them on my woodstove as a heat holder (and we have the pot of water for humidity on top of the soapstone)  Bare steel for fast heating and the soapstone for a long slow heat after we stop feeding the stove.

JHCC has a great idea and it could be designed to use quarry tile or rock tiles and designed for easy replacement of tiles (yup we had kids!) Slots for the tiles with little spring tabs to deal with the expansion contraction issues.

I have 10 of these.20170203_174621.thumb.jpg.996a6e15b8a11febee612d21acfbde8a.jpg

They're very old tiles from a wash stand. They are in great condition, no cracks or crazing, about 3/8" thick and 6"sq. I also will buy enough brown (matches the brown in above tiles) matt quarry tiles in a similar size and thickness. Intend to mount five of these either side of my log burner vertically with the centre filled with the brown ones. Burner diagonally across the corner of wooden walled workshop so as to leave an air space behind the tiles/whatever I use for a surround to mount them in/on. I know the 'world is my lobster' for a design and topping to a frame but, I would love some input/observations/design ideas/example photos that members might have.(standing by to be mind boggled!)

thanks in anticipation

Tom.

54 minutes ago, Tommytaptap said:

I have 10 of these.

They're very old tiles from a wash stand. They are in great condition, no cracks or crazing, about 3/8" thick and 6"sq. I also will buy enough brown (matches the brown in above tiles) matt quarry tiles in a similar size and thickness. Intend to mount five of these either side of my log burner vertically with the centre filled with the brown ones. Burner diagonally across the corner of wooden walled workshop so as to leave an air space behind the tiles/whatever I use for a surround to mount them in/on. I know the 'world is my lobster' for a design and topping to a frame but, I would love some input/observations/design ideas/example photos that members might have.(standing by to be mind boggled!)

thanks in anticipation

Tom.

Really nice tiles, Tom. I only have two suggestions:

1. Keep the frame fairly simple, so as not to make the whole thing too busy. 

2. If you do have something more than an utterly spartan, rectilinear frame, do something that picks up one or two design elements from the tile. For example, you could make an arched rail at the top that uses the shape of the outer tan sections, and maybe put a forged rose in the middle to evoke the flowers in the pattern, like this:

IMG_2217.JPG

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Gotcha.

Here's a thought: instead of the sheet steel panel, have ceramic tile or slate on the vertical section (the strapping would frame them nicely) with narrow horizontal slots at the top and the bottom. Air would enter at the bottom slot, absorb heat from the tile as it rises (cooling the wall as well), and exit through the top slot (essentially the principle of the vented Trombe wall). A friend of mine in Vermont has such an arrangement tiled into the wall behind their wood stove, but it would look great with a metal frame. (Just make sure that the frame has room to accommodate the different coefficients of expansion for the different materials.)

This isn't meant as criticism, by the way: the surround looks awesome as is. I'm just thinking that if you're doing this as an item for sale, the air circulation heater could be an appealing option for the customer -- at a premium, of course!

Yeah I like that idea. I could still cut vents in the top if it were to get too hot...

22 minutes ago, JHCC said:

2. If you do have something more than an utterly spartan, rectilinear frame, do something that picks up one or two design elements from the tile. For example, you could make an arched rail at the top that uses the shape of the outer tan sections, and maybe put a forged rose in the middle to evoke the flowers in the pattern, like this:

IMG_2217.JPG

I like the forged rose idea, that'd be a real nice touch. What goes in the space surrounding the rose?

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

IMG_2217.JPG

Yes JHCC. Thank you, I like that idea very much.

Tom.