I Forge Iron

Musket trigger guard material

Morning everyone. My son and I want to start another project, a replica musket. We're intending to make the butt, side plate and trigger guard (and stock, ram rod etc from timber) but not sure what is the best metal to use. We'd like if possible to get that goldy brassy colour but make and shape in the forge. Anyone got any guidance for us? We're intending to bring a flintlock in from the u.s (that part has to look right) as well as the ram rod guides / holders.  Not sure how we're going to go but have have nice piece silky oak for the stock.

Does anyone have a good contact for the flintlock?

Thanks in advance...

If you haven't yet watched "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg", do so now. We'll wait.

Okay, wasn't that great? You'll have noticed that the pieces you were asking about are all made from cast brass. Casting is a tricky and dangerous process, but it's an option.

If you don't want to do casting, you can always forge the parts from mild steel and then give them a good brushing (while still warm) with a wire brush with brass bristles. At the right temperature, a little bit of brass will come off the bristles and "gild" the steel.

Cast brass in simple greensand molds followed up by a lot of hand work with files, sand paper, etc.   Note I use my forge as a heat source for this sort of casting for blades....I did have training on making the molds and pouring them

might wander over to http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?12-General-foundry-talk  or other forums over there; probably people doing exactly what you want to do.

You can forge SOME alloys of bronze; others are completely unforgable!  As it tends to be expensive TEST an alloy before paying a lot of money for it.

As I recall leaded bronzes will crumble as well as many others!

A *dark* shop is handy for forging bronze at just when you see it barely glowing.  A few seconds more and you may have a puddle.  Lots of discussions on forging bronze out on the net.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

You can forge SOME alloys of bronze; others are completely unforgable!  As it tends to be expensive TEST an alloy before paying a lot of money for it.

As I recall leaded bronzes will crumble as well as many others!

A *dark* shop is handy for forging bronze at just when you see it barely glowing.  A few seconds more and you may have a puddle.  Lots of discussions on forging bronze out on the net.

I find that phosphorus bronze, the kind commonly used for casting works great. Another problem is that you need excellent hammer control due to bronze being incredibly soft at forging temperatures, almost like hitting wet clay.

Hi all, thanks for ur thoughts. Just so we are clear we had no intention of rushing into the project hence the questions and appreciated guidance. It was to a replica, not even close to a working musket, and there is no intention at all to put a trigger mechanism in it. We appreciate the guidance and safety always first in our minds, hence the questions. Thanks to all, love the forum!!

Glad to hear it is only a replica and not  a working model.  Perhaps you are paying attention :D   I am used to many new people here jumping into the deep end and getting hurt.   I combined your beginner questions with this firearm question and Emergency Medic  mode kicked in

You're all correct, never thought of boat pieces. I'm in oz at the mo so will seek some advice here too, first go nay just be some thin mild steel.

no intention of the rifle ever firing, not even putting a trigger mechanism in for the very safety reason. This is more about teaching my boy to think outside the square, use his hands with confidence, learn and explore together and seeing things thru.

On 2/2/2017 at 8:59 PM, Frosty said:

Those would be rootbeer bottle opener here

Frosty The Lucky.

Traditional Root Beer recipes, ( carbonated with Brewers Yeast or Champagne Yeast ) are mildly alcoholic.

And sadly, ... also somewhat carcinogenic.

That's probably why "real" Root Beer tastes so much better that the pitiful, nasty imitation stuff, now available.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, ... I'm a "serious" Root Beet fan.

Forty years ago, I did a through sampling of ALL available brands, ... and determined that Hires was the best in the world.

Followed closely by "Moms", ... "Dads", ... and ( interestingly enough ) "Frosty".

And life was good, ... until Big Brother determined that Sassafras Root ( the main ingredient ) was a mild carcinogen.

As you all know, ... what that means, is if you force feed a lab rat a million times the normal "dose" of Sassafras bark, the rat will get cancer.

( Of course, ... if you don't, ... odds are, that the rat will still get cancer. )

But hey, ... what good is a Government Agency, if it can't drive small-time competitors out of Coca-Cola's marketplace ?

2 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

is if you force feed a lab rat a million times the normal "dose" of Sassafras bark, the rat will get cancer.

Poor Rat!    Isn't that cruelty to an animal?    If you fed something  a million P & Js long enough it would get something besides a stomach ache.  One of the biggest mistruths in the world, "we are from the federal government and we here to help."  Lord Help Us.