I Forge Iron

Star #50

350rpm is what I have read elsewhere also.  It just seems really fast to me. As a beginner like myself would I be better off to run it slower than that? Also it has wooden clutch pads that are rotting. Is there a better material to use or should I put wood back on it? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Like Jeremy K said the speed of the hammer is controlled by the foot feed (treadle). My 25# Star runs fine with a 850rpm 1 horse motor and the smallest pulley I could find. Make sure you oil the hammer well with 80wt gear lube. Check the bearings, when I got mine the bearings were worn badly, I had to pour new Babbitt bearings. As seen in the picture my frame has been reinforced with steel plates. Some say the Star is weak in that area.

b4iagw.jpg

I found lubing my 50# Little Giant with chainsaw bar lube dosed with about 1/4 bottle of Duralube to a gallon of bar oil works better than gear or motor oils. Chainsaw bar oil is formulated to stick and not sling off. Sure a chainsaw will sling it but bar lube only shows spots where gear oil sprays off the bar sprocket.

The Duralube reduces the friction significantly when I tried it in my chainsaws I stopped having to adjust my chain tension in use, the chain and bar just didn't warm up.

I'm not saying it's THE lube for mechanical hammers but you only need drops in the oil ports on bearings and arms, the main bearing oil reservoirs only need a squirt not saturation. It's really nice being able to work a LG hard and not have it slinging and dripping oil. I've let my hammer sit for a couple months without using and am able to turn the main shaft with a push on the crank plate and not grunt doing it.

Frosty The Lucky.