I Forge Iron

Saskatchewan newbie

Sk Bjorn

Hello all  I am a 50ish newbie have been toying with my forge for almost a year with a 4 month break this summer wind storm sent my shelter into wheat field next to me  ànyhow  I've produced a few items and yes some knives too and if I am àm not in my smithy I am thinking about what I can make lol I am an addict 

20161127_155700.jpg

That angled flue seems to work well ... how high is the vertical section? 

I like the bucket!

Sorry, I did not read the question ... what can you make ... good question. (Was it a question? ... may be not, anyway I answered it for good measure :) )

How about a small gate? Keep it simple, make a couple of scroll patterns, use all the same size flat bar, learn to make the hinges and the lock. Great satisfaction and you get to use it all the time. 

Or try a lamp for indoors ... or even easier, a couple of shelf brackets for the kitchen to practice your twisting. 

The classic gift when I worked in a smithy was to make an ashtray in the shape of a vine leaf ... a bit passe this days :)

If you are making anything with scrolls and want them to look super, get yourself an old mallet, and drill on the face a series of holes all over the surface. You can use a die grinder with a stone bit, or a dremel.  Use two or three different diameter stones. Use face protection and gloves and long sleeves when using this since you will have weakened the hardened surface and it may chip. The holes have to be rather close. 

You can of course anneal it drill it and then harden it back if you know what you are doing. I used to harden it with cyanide when cyanide was sold as an ant killer ... you can buy safer surface hardener this days. 

Once you have your mallet all covered in dimples, take the flat bar you will use for the scrolls and give it a good hammering all around cold, both faces and edges. The more the merrier. Change sides all the time so you don't end up with a banana. 

Then do the scroll as per normal. Your piece will look made from very old recycled iron recovered from underground all corroded. 

Right handed but seems to balance out the workout on my arms  never thought about doing it that way  .   Ànd the stove pipe is at least 6'  on the outside . Once it is going works ok it was one of those this is what I have how do I make it work projects